Karva Chauth -Karva celeberation/ Traditions of gifting/Heena and more

Hey Guys!!!
Regrets for not posting yesterday though some of you might be  knowing the reason behind it.I am in Delhi  right now and as usual too excited and happy to  meet my Mom and Dad.I don’t believe it but  I miss my mom so much in Hyderabad .There was a time when we use to have altercation every day and  that too on  silly reason.I guess we girls realize the importance of mom only after we get married .GrinGrin.
Karva chauth  2010 date is 26th October2010 this time.It is a very big festival is north India .Yesterday while coming back from the airport I stopped in a mall in between and I was so happy to see so many women shopping for the festival.I guess this is the only festival which Delhi women enjoys the most as they get the full freedom to splurge on this day.After all they are going to fast for their husband longevity.
Fast of Karva chauth is of particular importance to all Hindu married women in India.They believe that the festival ensures prosperity, longevity and well being of their husbands.The festival falls on the fourth day of the Kartik month by the Hindu calender(fourth day of the waning moon or the dark fortnight)

Karva chauth puja

On the Karva chauth married women eat food early in the morning before sunrise.They are not suppose to eat or even drink water during the day.In the evening the ladies listen to the Karwa Chauth Katha and fast if over after the moonrise.
Preparation of the pooja starts a day in advance. Married woman buy shringar or traditional adornments and the other puja items like karwa, heena , lipsticks, bindi etc.
They get up early in the morning and prepare food and have it before sunrise.They pass the whole day by meeting friends and relatives and decorate pooja thali.

In evening women gather together at a common place like a temple or a garden and elderly ladies narrates the lengend of Karwa Chouth.

Karwa chauth thali

In Karwa chauth thali a special mud pot, that is considered a sympol of lord Ganesha, a metal
burn filled with water, flowers, idols of Ambika Gaur mata, Goddess Parwati and some fruits, mathi and food grains, A part of it is offered to the dieties and the story teller.

During the pooja every one lightens the earthen lamp and keep it in their thali  while listening to Karwa story, Sindoor, incense sticks and rice are also kept in the thali.
Husband on this day give a surprise gift to their wife and those who have a wife like me then they are infromed before hand what they are suppose to give in their “Surprise Gift”

Karwa chauth katha
All the wise she readers who do not have karva chauth books with them can read the Karva chauth katha from here.

You might like reading these also

How to celeberate Rakhi and Rakhi wishes 2010

My Mehndi design this Karva chauth
Big Boss season 4 - Khali ki Khalbali Grin

Comments

1. Radhika says

“..those who have a wife like me then they are infromed before hand what they are suppose to give in their “Surprise Gift” Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Its the best thing to do, though, cos at least with my hubby and me..our ideas are like poles apart…I can point out the exact shop he needs to go to and what to buy and he will come with something I won't like even then!!! Safest..I shop myself and he pays the bill Grin Grin

2. Radhika says

3. Radhika says

"..those who have a wife like me then they are infromed before hand what they are suppose to give in their "Surprise Gift" Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Its the best thing to do, though, cos at least with my hubby and me..our ideas are like poles apart…I can point out the exact shop he needs to go to and what to buy and he will come with something I won't like even then!!! Safest..I shop myself and he pays the bill Grin Grin

4. Anamika Sureka says

hehe..even i prefer that..or just point it by blinking your eyes ..GrinGrin

or else ask him to wrap the gift so that i can consider it as a surprise giftGrin

5. sunaina says

never heard of this festival, think i've seen it in movies but never knew what it was. sounds nice! good luck on the fasting and happy Karva chauth!

Karwa Chauth Celebrated Tomorrow -26-10-2010
    All the gentleman out there, experience the divine love of your wife tomorrow when they observe a day long fast for your well being and long life. Likewise, all the ladies – its time to dress as a bride once again and don't forget to grab your Karwa Chauth gifts. Karva Chauth is observed by married women who keep fast from the sunrise and break the fast after the moonrise for the well-being and longevity of their husbands. During their fast, women listen to the 'Karwa Chauth Katha'. Enjoy the traditional Indian festival of Karwa Chauth with love and excitement.
    Happy Karwachauth. http://www.surfindia.com/festivals/karwa-chauth.h

7. Anamika Sureka says

me going to relative place and will watch a movie tomorrow so that hunger pangs doesn't hit me hard Grin ..and yaa u r always welcome to call me upSmile

8. sunaina says

I watch Hindi movies every now and then, even though my bf is dutch he likes to watch it toAngel
    Yes I understand, but not completely! And talking is way more difficult than listening!

9. Anamika Sureka says

Gosh Sunaina..so u know three languages ..awesome ..i know some french but i could barely pass in my exam Grin