By Prerna Sharma,
Nutritional value of Eggs and a light Bengali Egg Recipe (Dimer Jhol)
Proteins– egg protein is at the highest point, 100 and is used as the reference standard against which all other foods are assessed. 12.5% of the total egg weight is protein.
Vitamins– Vitamin B12, riboflavin (vitamin B2) and folate is present in majority. It is also a good source of the fat-soluble vitamins A and D and provides some vitamin E.
Minerals– excellent source of iodine (required to make the thyroid hormone) phosphorus (required for bone health), selenium (an important antioxidant) and provides some zinc, important for wound healing, growth and fighting infection. Eggs also contain iron.
Fats– 11.2% of the egg content is fat. The fat of an egg is found almost entirely in the yolk
Cholesterol- Eggs also contain cholesterol and lecithin. Cholesterol is essential for the production of sex hormones, cortisol, vitamin D and bile salts.
4 Eggs, boiled
2 Medium-large potatoes cut into cubes
1 large onion, finely chopped
1″ cube of fresh ginger paste
2-3 cloves of garlic, crushed or paste
1 level teaspoon garam masala powder
1 teaspoon ground coriander seed (dhaniya)
1.5 teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
1 level teaspoon ground cumin seed (jeera)
1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
5 tablespoons vegetable oil
Salt to taste
2 cups of warm water
1. Gather all the ingredients. Peel the potatoes and cut them into small cubes. Coat them with little salt and turmeric.
2. Peel of the shell from the boiled eggs. Make small slits in each egg, coat with half of the turmeric powder.
3. Heat the oil in a large nonstick pan on medium heat. When the oil is hot fry the potatoes for 4-5 mins turning them over from time to time. Take them out and place aside when they are done.
4. Fry eggs in the remaining oil in the pan until slightly browned. You must continuously turn the eggs. When these are done keep them aside.
4 In the remaining oil add the crushed chilli and the garam masala and fry for one minute (medium heat).
5Next add the ginger and garlic and fry for another minute.
6After this you add the chopped onion and fry for 5 minutes.
7. Lower the heat to “low” and add the chilli powder, coriander powder and cumin powder. Stir and fry for 2 minutes.
8.Now add the potatoes, salt and turmeric, turn up the heat to medium again and stir to coat the potatoes with the spices. Add the water and bring to boil. Once it starts boiling lower the heat and cover the pan with a lid and allow to simmer till the potatoes are almost done (10 min).
9.Add the eggs and simmer for another 10 minutes or until the potatoes are well done.
Serve it with plain boiled rice or roti.
Also checkout the video
You might like reading these also:-