Post By Zara,
Today I will be reviewing the Color Wheel face powder from New York Color. This brand is available in the US, is a drugstore product and pretty popular.
This is one of the blushes I got without doing any research simply because it looked really interesting and I’d never even heard of a color wheel before ..and ofcourse this was on discount!
What does NYC Claim about this product:
Add a dash of color to your day with NYC New York Color – Color Wheel Mosaic Face Powder. This ultra sheer soft pressed powder is made up of four harmonizing hues. The kaleidoscope of shades blend to create a perfect single shade that balances and enhances all skin undertones. Choose from six great palettes at one great price, for every skin brightening need.
- Ultra sheer, soft and natural finish
- Brightens up complexion
- Four harmonized colors create the perfect single shade when blended together to balance and enhance all skin undertones
- Oil-free formula
- Reduces oil and shine
- Wear alone or over makeup
- Dermatologist tested
- Price: $4.99
- Quantity: 8g
Key Ingredients of NYC Color Wheel Mosaic Face Powder Review
- A blend of micronized pigments and silica for smooth application
- Kaolin to minimize pores and lines
- Natural mineral powders
My take on the product:
- Packaging: Their packaging is one of downsides of this product. It is packaged in a circular pan with a transparent twist/slide off plastic lid. This lid is so fragile that it would be extremely easy for it to crack and shatter…just 1-2 drops would be sufficient to break it. I do wish they would revamp the packaging for this product.
- Texture & Pigmentation:I have heard a lot of people deeming this as very powdery in texture but I didn’t find it excessively so. As in, only 1 shade from the entire mosaic i.e. the lightest shade did seem powdery when swatched alone, but when swiped together this did not feel powdery to me at all. Pigmentation is ok-ok, nothing to write home about…The worst thing is the fallout! This powder has crazy fallout and to take pics for this post I had to brush out all the fallout and then blow into the pan so that the mosaic design would be visible :-l and Even then you can see the intense fallout in the first pic..That’s how sad it is..
- Fragrance: True to its claim, this powder is fragrance free and this is a boon for all sensitive nosed gals.
- Staying Power: I’m not too impressed with the staying power of this powder..It stays for a max of 3hrs on my face and doesn’t even leave a hint of color. This may also be because of the shade I chose. The other pink-toned shades may fare better.
- Application: I use this as bronzer or for contouring since this shade is darker than my skin tone and can’t be used as a face powder. However a friend of mine has the same shade (We bought it together) and she uses it as a face powder since she is on the duskier side. So this is a multi-purpose product and has dual purposes.
- Cost & Availability: I find this to be on the pricier side because of the quality. The price would have justified had the packaging been sturdy and the staying power and fallout issue been non-existent. As for availability, its available easily abroad in drugstores. I haven’t seen this brand in India. Some NYC products are available online on Ebay, perfume2order, etc. So interested gals can give it a try.
Swatches of NYC Color Wheel Mosaic Face Powder Review
The 3 shades swatched separately
All shades swatched together
Pros of NYC Color Wheel Mosaic Face Powder
- Decent pigmentation
- Can be used as a blush or for contouring or even as a face powder.
- Very light and I don’t feel like I’ve used anything
- Not too heavy on the pocket
- Good for experimentation and they do have lovely shades especially the pink toned variations.
- You get a whopping amount of product..8gms is crazy!! How would anyone ever finish it?
Cons of NYC Color Wheel Mosaic Face Powder:
- Availability is an issue since it isn’t available in India
- Fallout is crazy and irritating
- Packaging is too flimsy and this is totally NOT travel friendly.
- Would have been nice if they’d included an applicator for ease of use.
- Staying power is kinda pathetic unless one is going for a 2-3 hrs duration. I don’t wear this to work at all for this reason.
- Will I buy it again: Nopes, not unless the repackage and improve their formula!
Rating: 3/5 ( -1 for the flimsy packaging, -1 for the staying power)
You might like reading these also:-