This post is for my friend Reddy who asked me to share Paav bhaaji recipe with her.People in this part of the country(South) are not much aware of it so let me just brief you what exactly it is. Paav is a small bun and bhaaji is a mix of vegetables. It’s a favourite Indian street food in North India and I can have it any time
Every one has his/her own way of making it I am sharing my simple and spicy version .
IngredientsFor 4 people)
5 boiled peeled potatoes and mashed 3 tomatoes finely chopped 3 large onion chopped 1tsp ginger garlic paste 2 chopped green chilly Oil (I used Dalda) Salted Butter(I used Amul) Boiled vegetables (Cauliflower, capsicum, carrots, bottle gourd etc) Pav Bhaazi masala(I used MDH but like Everest one the most) 8 Paavs which i got from the market Salt Red chilli powder
Method and Preparation:-
- Step1 – Take a large non stick pan and add 2 tbsp. of oil in it.I know it is too much of oil but this recipe does need it.Some people even prefer using ghee but I find the bhaaji too heavy to eat so I avoid that.
- Step2 – Add chopped onion , ginger garlic paste, chopped green chilli and saute the onions till they are light brown.
- Step3 – Add finely chopped tomatoes and saute them till they get soft.Add salt(I added around1/4th tsp. , red chilli powder(if you add dhegi mirch then colour of the bhaaji turns out nice) .
- Step4-Add mashed potatoes and 2tsp. of pao bhaji masala and mix them together.
- Step5– Here comes the patience part.Keep stirring the mixture for at least ten minutes on low flame till potato leave oil.This is what makes pav bhaai spicey and tastey .
- Step6 – This is how the mixtures looks after ten minutes.
- Step7 – Add boiled veggies
- Step8 – Now with a hand masher even out all the mixture.If you don’t have a hand masher then mash the boiled vegetables before adding them into the potatoes.
- Step9 – Cook all the vegetables for 4-5 minutes more and then switch off the gas.
For the Paav
Slit the bun semi half with a knife and place the bun open and face down on the tava or hot griddle .Cook them till they are golden brown.I sprinkle some red chilli powder as it makes them spicy (I once saw Sanjeev Kapoor doing it in one of the cookery show )
Taddaa!! Pav bhaazi is ready to eat .Serve the paav with hot bhaaji
Don’t forget to add lots of butter into the bhaaji to double the taste .You can also keep chopped onion and lemon wedges beside it.
You might like reading this also:-