How to choose a foundation..the easy way
The Very first step once you have decided to go for a foundation is, to understand your skin undertone. The most easiest way to know this is to look at the color of your veins on the underside of your wrist.
This is one another method to find your undertone..that is …if you think gold colored jewels suit you better you would be warm ..and if it is silver colored suits you better ,then you would be cool.and if you feel you are able to carry on both colors well then you would be neutral.
Most Asians/Indians are considered warm toned.. but there are always exceptions.So look carefully before you buy.
For those of you who are not aware of MAC shades..
Here is why I gave you the above details. This is purely on my experience. I am not a makeup artist.
Now That you are aware why your previously purchased foundations don’t work for you..let us have a look at some do’s and don’ts while buying a foundation.
Q What is the first thing that you will need to buy a foundation?
A. MONEY! Yes girls better be prepared. Good foundations don’t come cheap.!
We will move on …
1.Look for the right formula for your skin. Look for words like oil free.oil control or mattifying for oily skin and Luminizing, hydrating, moisture rich for dry skin. Combination skinned girls can enjoy the best of both worlds.Girls with sensitive skin can look for non comedogenic or non clogging.And for our ladies who are young at heart and slightly older in other places..please look for words like lifting, firming, age defying etc
2.The first rule is..Don’t buy foundations online unless you have used the brand and the shade earlier. The shades shown in the monitor are not the shades you will be receiving.
3. Don’t test foundations on your wrist. your wrist is different from face ..Either have it tested on your neck or face.
4. Test it on one side of the face so you can compare…Please Carry your personal mirror and check out the shade in Natural sunlight and not in the store as several stores have either too bright lights or too dull. Remember.. the right shade will look exactly same as the other side of the face(where you have no make up ) ….just hiding the flaws. If you find a shade like this ..then dance like Govinda!..yes..It is the shade for you.
5. Lighter shades of a foundation DOES NOT MAKE YOU LO0K FAIRER…In turn it leaves a grayish mask on your face
6. Girls with dry skin can look for dewy/semi matte finish foundations. If your foundation is matte you can mix a luminizer to add that extra glow ..but adding too much can make you look like a disco ball. Those with oily skin could look for cream to powder or mate finish foundations and finish with a finishing powder /compact. Girls with combination skin are lucky.
7. Go for full coverage foundations only if your skin requires it..that is if you have lot to hide..otherwise you may end up looking like RA-ONE.You could opt for sheer or medium coverage..or even a tintend moisturizer if you have a good skin.
8.MAC does provide samples.So please get them .they are free of cost.Try them to find how your skin reacts and then buy the stuff if required
9. If you feel that any foundation shade suits you perfectly..then it is advisable to carry it with you when you plan to buy a new brand. This is just for a primary help. You will have to pick the shades that are close to your existing shade and will have to try them before buying..as foundations appear different in package and on skin
10.If you have a sensitive skin ..then please do a skin test on your jaw line under your ears for at least 2 days.If you seem to experience any reaction ..then keep away from the product..
11. Always remember..if a foundation looks beautiful on your friend/mom/neighbor/sis or any body else..it surely doesn’t mean it will look good on you too..pls try it at counter before you buy.
12. If you are buying foundations at a shopping mall..you have an advantage…choose your brand /shade and get it applied on your face ..look at the mirror..if you are happy ..tell the rep that you will come back after you have finished your shopping..by doing this you could easily find out if the foundation is oxidizing on you face..also find out how long it stays (I know when we shop, 5hrs seem to be like 5 min).Please don’t be shy to do this..this could save you a lot of money !Never mind what people might think.. We live in a society where pizza gets to your house before the police..so girls..it is your hard earned money spend it wisely.
13.Most foundations don’t come with a good SPF..hence it is always advisable to wear a good sun protector underneath during the day time.If you feel the sunscreens make you look white please try some matte finish /sheer finish sun screens. You can find them in Lotus and Neutrogena.
14.Never buy a foundation when your are a due for your periods..as our skin darkens a shade or two during this time. The best time is Once you are over with it or the time you are ovulating.(i.e 14-18 days from the first day of the period)
15. To make a foundation last longer always apply a primer.
16. You could use a flat brush/sponge/stippling brush/or even your fingers to apply the foundation.
All I would like to say is EVERY ONE IS GIFTED ..YOU JUST HAVE TO OPEN THE PACKAGE.
17.Even after all these..you end up buying a wrong shade, then don’t forget to list it on wiseshe sale!And for all those buying them..buy it only if u have used the shade earlier and you know it works for you.
I too have purchased wrong shades of foundations earlier…and I believe If you have never made mistakes ..then you have never tried any thing new! …
hope atleast a few points were of your help. Personally my fav are MAC studio fix liquid,MAC mineralize satin finish,Revlon Color stay and Photoready.Have a good day!
You might like reading these also:-
- Pigmentation Removing Cream Suggestions
- Oily Skin & Scalp Solution – Wise She Reader Question
- Deborah Blush Cacao Review & Swatches
- Blog Sale –
- Wise She Sale Alert – Neutrogena & H20
- Covergirl Simply Powder Foundation Review
- Blog Sale Sneak Peak
- Banjara’s Saffron Cleansing Milk Review