I got this off Ebay earlier this year when I decided I wanted to learn contouring. After reading a couple of posts and watching youtube videos I realised this is what I needed to give my otherwise round face a more sleek and sculpted look. Since I was clueless and a bit lazy too, I decided I wanted a kit with all 3 components (Contour shade, blush & highlighter) in one so that I wouldn’t have to get further confused and so that I’d have something concrete to start with.
After a lot of browsing and hunting I decided this Smashbox contouring trio was perfect for what I had in mind and got it after finding a good deal on Ebay
What Smasbox Contoruing Palette Claims
- Contour Palette in ‘Cheek Chic’ includes the following shades: Matte Bronzer Pale Apricot Shimmer Blush Warm Rose Blush
- Contour, highlight and color your cheeks with this sleek palette. The matte bronzer and two lovely blushes will take you from everyday natural looks to evening.
- Price:$24 approx. However I got the unboxed palette for under 800 INR.
My take on the Smashbox Contouring Palette:
- Packaging:As visible, this palette is a duo wherein one pan is the contouring shade and the other has 2 separate ½ pans of a blush and a highlighter. It comes with a mirror and is quite sturdy but again I wouldn’t advice one to carry this during travel since there can be some breakage as visible in my palette as well. It broke during one of my trips and thank got it was just a chip and not the entire pan! What I love most though about this palette is the instruction sheet in pictoral form. Its what helped me learn to use this properly.
- Color:This shade comes off exactly as visible in the pics. The contour shade is a dark matte brown which is super pigmented and can be used as a matte bronzer as well. The blush shade is a pretty apricot with a tiny hint of shimmer which is again well pigmented. The highlighter shade is a very mild baby pink shade with denser shimmer in it which is a beautiful shade to use on it own as well.
- Pigmentation & Texture:This the only palette ever in my experience wherein all 3 shades are so intensely pigmented. All 3 powders are soft but the dark contouring shade is super soft and has a velvet feel to it which I adore. Its so pigmented that I don’t even need to swirl the brush in the pan. I just dab it and the right amount of product is picked up With regards to fallout, there’s hardly any…only a tiny bit with the blush shade.
- Staying Power: The contouring and blush shades have a long staying powder of about 6-7hrs, however, the highlighter fades of relatively quickly within an hour or so.
- Application: I use an angled contouring brush while applying the contouring shade and a blush brush for the blush and highlighter. I dont use any separate technique for application and just follow the instructions as given. So there’s is no way to go wrong The only key here is blending. If the blending is not done properly then you could end up looking like u fed your cheeks a humongous bar of Cadbury!
- The only extra thing I do during application is using the brown shade on the sides n my nose to make it look longer and a touch of the same at the temples to make my face look slimmer. And that’s it! I’m good to go!
Pros of Smashbox Contouring Palette:
- Texture is smooth and velvety. Hence you only have to dab the brush once or twice instead of swirling it around.
- Hardly any fallout
- Comes with a mirror
- The shades in this palette would suit a lot of skin tones.
- Its a very compact palette.
- The pictoral instruction sheet is great for beginners.
- Good staying power.
- Worth every penny
Cons of Smashbox Contouring Palette:
- Availability is a huge problem. This brand is not available in India
- Not very travel friendly unless you wrap it multiple times with bubble wrap.
- Its pretty pricey although it can be bought for less if you’re ready to buy it unboxed.
- Pigmentation: 5/5
- Packaging: 4/5
- Staying Power: 5/5
- Availability: 2.5/5
- Price vs. Quality: 4/5
You might like reading these also:-
- Wise She This Week Sale Alert (Nov Week 3)
- MAC Fluidline Eyeliner Gel Waveline Review & Swatches
- Estee Lauder Introduces New Pure Color Lipstick By Tom Pecheux
- Calvin Klein Facial Scrub Papaya Review
- Fashion & You Stylecraze Sale Alert
- Oriflame Daily Hand Cream Review