The Messenger Bag: What makes them so special??
I recall messenger bags coming into fashion when I was in 11th grade. I’m sure you must all remember those single strap bags which we could haul over our head and across our torso. I’d whined and nagged until my parents got me one of them as opposed to the more logical dual strap bags we’d carry. I was so happy to get it and flaunted it big time.
Now after so many years after college (err…I’m not THAT old), I’ve realised that messenger bags aren’t just bags for school and college goers…Infact, there are used by everyone! From teeny boppers to corporate divas, to even the hunkiest of men..Yes MEN! Every one these days has atleast one messenger bag in their kitty.
So essentially, what is a Messenger Bag?
Messenger bags refers to the bags that were used by bicycle messengers/ courier guys carry. They typically have a shoulder strap so the bag can be worn across the torso with the bag hanging down at your side or slung onto your back.
These bags are usually rectangular in shape with enough space for magazines, courier-size envelopes, and anything else that a messenger might need to put into their bag. The closure of a messenger bag typically comes in the form of a large front flap that either closes with buckles, velcro, or other type of fastener.
Now ofcourse times have changed and messenger bags have become more of a fashion statement than the utility based bag it was intended to be.
Why are Messenger Bags so ‘IN’ & What makes them so special?
In my opinion, messenger bags are special for 3 simple reasons:
- People from any age groups can wear them – I have seen college goers use them, office goers using them to carry their laptops and even older ladies carrying these while on their nightly walks.
- They can transform the simplest of outfits to a trendy one. I have seen such bags make a simple white Tee and blue denims look cool and trendy.
- They have acres of storage space. One can use it to carry their laptop and other articles for daily use easily.
Apart from this, ofcourse you have the fact that they have become a fashion statement and are exceedingly easy to use. No more struggles to shrug the bag off your shoulder and unzip and rummage through. Now one just has to open the flap and pick out the article one needs.
What to Look for in a Messenger Bag
Yea, yea…we usually want the bags with either the coolest color or the ‘IN’ brand or just the right material….but what are the extra things to look at while buying one of these bags???
- Check the length and cushions of the shoulder strap
- Check the adjustablity mechanism of these straps
- Ensure you have the number of compartments you usually like and need.
- If you’re buying one for work then ensure it has a separate compartment for your laptop.
- Waterproof material
- For bikers especially: cross strap for stabilization and reflectors for nighttime visibility
Different Styles of Messenger Bags
- For School/ College
This can be funky kind of messenger bags which are available in a plethora of colors and have a lot of compartments and spaces and slots for your stationery and a mesh side slot for a water bottle. These are usually made of PVC, denim or any light water proof material and can have a lot of embellishments and metal work don on it to promote fashion.
- For Work/ Official use
These tend to be classier versions of the messenger bag. Nowadays one can find leather or suede messenger bags made especially for the work place. These contain a separate removable laptop sleeve and atleast 2 dividers to store your important documents and stationery.
- For Biking
The true messenger bags will strap tight across your chest and fall across your back. This type of messenger bag is great for bikers because it will stay put as you ride. They would also have a slot for water bottles and reflective stickers so as to be visible during the night.
- All Purpose Messenger Bags
These are the most popular by far. They come in various material, most commonly suede and PVC and even resin. They usually have one large compartment with side and front zippered pockets. These can come in alot of colors…from matte toneon, the messenger world bag is your oyster
Infact, there ere messenger bags which can even be carried as an evening purse…have a look..
Spot the Celebs!
You Might Like Reading these also:
- Coloressence Lip Luxury Suffle Palette Review & Swatches
- The Body Shop Sparkle Eyeliner Ocean Green Review & Swatches
- Smashbox Red Carpet Radiance Palette: Review, Swatches
- Stila Illuminating Finishing Powder in Rose Gold:Review,Swatches
- The Balm Hot Mama Blush Review & Swatches
- Crème De La Mer Lip Balm Review