Diamond, woman’s best friend
Few facts about Diamond:
A diamond is one of the best-known and most sought-after gemstones. Diamonds have been known to mankind since ancient times; some of the earliest references can be traced to India
The most famous use of the diamond in jewelry is in engagement rings, which became popular in the early to mid 20th century due to an advertising campaign by the De Beers Company.
The carat weight measures the mass of a diamond. One carat is defined as 200 milligrams. Total carat weight (t.c.w.) is a phrase used to describe the total mass of diamonds or other gemstone in a piece of jewelry, when more than one gemstone is used. T.c.w. is also widely used for diamond necklaces, bracelets and other similar jewelry pieces.
Diamond cutting is the art of creating a gem-quality diamond out of mined rough. The cut of a diamond describes the manner in which a diamond has been shaped and polished from a rough stone to final gem. The quality of a diamond’s cut is widely considered the most important factor in determining the beauty of a diamond.
Historically, it has been claimed that diamonds possess several supernatural powers:
– A diamond gives victory to he or she who carries it bound on his left arm, no matter the number of enemies.
– Panics, pestilences, enchantments, all fly before it; hence, it is good for sleepwalkers and the insane.
– It deprives lodestone and magnets of their virtue (i.e., ability to attract iron).
– Arabic diamonds are said to attract iron greater than a magnet.
– A diamond’s hardiness can only be broken by smearing it with fresh goat’s blood.
– In traditional Hinduism one should avoid contact with a diamond whose surface area is damaged by a crack, a crowfoot, a round, dull, speckled area, or which is black-blue, flat, or is cut other than the (ideal) hexagonal shape.
A clean Diamond:
Cleanliness significantly affects a diamond’s beauty. Dirt or grease on the top of a diamond reduces its luster. Water, dirt, or grease on the bottom of a diamond interferes with the diamond’s brilliance and fire. Even a thin film absorbs some light that could have been reflected.
Maintaining a clean diamond can sometimes be difficult as jewelry settings can obstruct cleaning, and oils, grease, and other hydrophobic materials adhere well to a diamond. Many jewelers use steam cleaners. Some jewelers provide their customers with ammonia-based cleaning kits; ultrasonic cleaners are also popular. Handle your jewelry by its edges.
Remember what not to do when you are wearing your diamond:-
- Gardening and DIY manual work.
- Never go to bed with your diamond jewelry still on you.
- Bathing and showering.
- General house work.
- Heavy bags.
- Powders, hair spray and soap diminish diamond´s brilliance.
- Most importantly, Storing jewelry incorrectly.
How To Clean Diamond Jewellery:-
A very easy method to clean your diamond is the soap bath. Mix mild soap detergent with warm water. Use eyebrow brush to brush the pieces of diamond jewelries. Then transfer them to a wire tea strainer and rinse under warm running water. Pat dry with a soft cloth.
I have very limited pieces to show you all. I do not have a craze for diamonds. I simply own few pieces as a part of my family tradition. My interest lies in silver jewelries. Bracelets, necklace and pendant all set in 18k gold. The traditional ear studs and the nose pin all set in 22k gold. Diamonds when combined with rubies or emeralds creates a beauty that cannot be matched to any other combination.
Please excuse the similar designed ear studs. Elders in my family never let me change the design for the ear rings. The flower shaped design is a traditional South Indian design and dates back to the oldest possible generation available here in South India. I have 6 pairs of ear studs (shown only 4) in the same boring design (bought during various occasions, gifted be in-laws, gifted by parents).
(A diamond pendant with a drop shaped center ruby)
(A diamond necklace)
(Traditional design ear studs)
A simple single stone nose pin
Check out more of my collection here:-
- 20 Turquoise And Beaded/Stoned Funky Silver Jewelry
- 20 Toe Rings Design
- 15 Silver Marcasite Jewellery Collection
- 5 Ways To Store Necklaces,Organisation & My Neckpiece collection