I am totally obsessed with contouring and since I do it every single day to work, it’s become a habit now. I’ve used a ton of contouring products like the Smashbox Contouring Kit reviewed here, Benefit Hoola and TheBalm’s Bahama Mama reviewed here. NYX launched this new Contour & highlight Powder along with the Bronzer & Blush Duos. I saw this online and couldn’t stop myself. .
About NYX Contour & Highlight Powder
Get acquainted with your unique and beautiful facial features and emphasize them even more with our Highlight and Contour Powder! The magnificent duo powder works hand-in-hand when you desire to intensify your inherited fabulous features. Strengthen beloved features with the contour powder and use the highlight powder to accentuate your look!
- Price: 9$
- Quantity: 10g
My take on the NYX Contour & Highlighting Powder:
- Packaging: This bronzing powder comes in a compact form with a mirror. It doesn’t come with a brush which I don’t mind since most of the brushes which come in a contact are pretty much sad anyways. As visible, the compact is split into 2 halves; one half is the contour powder and the other half is the highlighter.
- Color: The contour shade is a deep chocolate brown which is totally matte. It’s a darker shade than Benefit Hoola as well. The highlighter shade is a pearly white without any shimmer and quite subtle.
- Pigmentation & Texture: This contour powder is superbly pigmented. However, I must caution you that those with fair or medium skin tones should use this sparingly. The brown is so dark that it’s easy to end up with a chocolate Bar stripe on your cheek. It’s quite easy to blend though. The highlighting powder was a bit of a disappointment however. It’s so hard that I have to dig in quite a bit to get the required amount to highlight my cheeks. I’m not sure whether this is specific to the compact I have but I find it weird that the contour powder could be so pigmented and the highlight shade so weak and stiff.
- Staying Power: The contour powder stays on for the entire day. i.e. about 8-9hrs easily. But the highlight shade fades within 2hrs or so.
- Application: I use this for contouring. I use my Ambika Pillai contouring brush or my Bare Ecsentuals Contouring brush to apply this in all the areas which catch the sunlight:
- the hollows on my cheeks & temples (to make the face appear slimmer)
- below my chin (to conceal a double chin)
- on the jaw line (for a sculpted jaw)
- on the sides on my nose (to make the nose appear slim)
And here’s a pic of how I’ve done some mild contouring…I now realise I should have maybe contoured a little darker for the camera but well…lesson learnt I hope you can see the way how the hollows of my cheeks seem a bit sunken inwards..
Pros of NYX Contour & Highlighting Powder:-
- We get a amazing quantity for such a low price.
- The contour powder is totally matte and the highlighter has a pearl finish which is exactly what’s needed in a contouring kit.
- Comes with a mirror
- Handy for travel
- Will suit all skintones. Will actually suit dusky skin tones much better
- The contour powder is very easy to blend and buff out.
- Perfect for long wear since the staying power is amazing
- A lovely soft powder to work with
Cons of NYX Contour & Highlighting Powder:-
- One has to be very careful with the contour shade and blend it well.
- The highlight half is really quite sad in terms of pigmentation
- Pigmentation: 4.5/5
- Texture: 4.5/5
- Packaging: 5/5
- Staying Power: 4.5/5
- Price vs. Quality: 4.5/5
Have you tried the NYX Contour & Highlighting Powder?
You may also like reading:
- NYX Lip Lacquer Pot in Coralicious :Review, Swatches
- LA Girl Crème Lipstick Secret Admirer Review & Swatches
- Ambika Pillai Toast Lipgloss Review &Swatches
- MUFE Rouge Artist Intense Mat4 Matte Antique Pink Lipstick Review & FOTD
- MAC Stay in Touch Cremesheen Lipstick :Swatch,Review & FOTD
- Makeup Suggestion For Karwa Chaut
- La Vie en Rose (Life through rose colored glass)The Rosy Flush(Makeup tutorial)
- Flower Inspired Makeup Look
- Seductive Eye Makeup With The Balm Shady lady palette
- The Balm Hot Mama Blush Review & Swatches