Let me sum up the thirties to you in one sentence “This is the decade when you wake up to things you’ve never noticed on your skin before!”.
Skin care for the woman in her 30’s. I’ve just turned 32 and so this is a topic that is very close to my heart! No, No, sorry CLOSE TO MY SKIN !!! As I was writing this article and looking at the above picture of my face I noticed that I’ve aged and I can actually see the areas that have changed. Acne tends to become more hormonally driven, so the week before and during your period might not be pretty. ( This I experienced for the first time in my life last month)
Your complexion looks dull too, since cell turnover is slowing down. Skin care for women in their 30s should be focused on halting the start of fine lines and wrinkles. Gravity defying tricks to stop the formation of laugh lines.
When you enter your 30s, you know your skin well and feel comfortable in it. Below are a few changes that you can make in your daily routine to take care of it.
- Retinoid can be your best friend. Use it to four or five nights a week to keep wrinkles, uneven texture and loss of elasticity at bay. You can also smooth on glycolic or lactic acid to speed cell turnover. Apply a mild at-home glycolic peel once a week if your skin can tolerate it.
- Antioxidants boost sun protection and fight free radicals from UV rays, pollution, allergens and other irritants. The most effective include vitamin C and Green tea.Look for them in your moisturizers and sunscreens
- Broad-spectrum sunscreen (preferably with antioxidants) during the day. It is a must no matter how old you are. Sunscreen should be worn from the age of 10 but in your 30’s it is as important as the air that you breathe. Apply a sunscreen that has a Sun Protection Factor of at least 30 to 50 and that too every 2-3 hours if you are in the sun. So if you haven’t started preventive measures by now, it is definitely time to start.
- Moisturize your skin because you may have noticed that your skin is a bit drier now than it was in your 20s. This could be a good thing if you have exceptionally oily skin, but for most people a moisturizer is in order. Go for a daily moisturizer that includes vitamins C and E since both of these help the skin absorb and retain moisture.
- Cleanse your skin daily so that your complexion will remain clean and bright. This will keep break-outs and adult acne at bay.
- Use a toner after cleansing your skin as it will firm up your skin and close pores to prevent dirt and oil from clogging them up. It is best to use a toner after cleaning your face for the night, right before bed.
- Exfoliate regularly with a scrub or washcloth daily, This will help your skin shed the dead cells that naturally builds up over time, leaving a fresh, healthy layer to show to the world.
Along with tips I am giving you a few warnings also:
- Avoid sleeping with your make-up on since this will clog pores and make it very difficult to keep your skin clean and clear.
- Some skin problems may be signs of cancer or other medical issues so get any unusual bumps, blemishes or broken blood vessels checked by a doctor.
- Also please do a regular pap smear and breast cancer check-up.
Take care of your self in your twenties, maintain your self in your thirties and you will reap the rewards in your forties and fifties.
We are going to get there some day or the other, like it or not.
Are you in your thirties? Dreading it? Face it. What are some of your tips for healthy skin?
You may also like reading: