Purple is one of my favorite colors. Mascara is one of my favorite makeup products. And Maybelline is one of my favorite makeup brands. So no guesses as to why I got this . I actually almost didn’t buy this. I read so many bad reviews about this mascara that I chucked it out of my list. I went to a Maybelline counter, picked this up, looked at it longingly, put it back and headed home. But this purple tube was everywhere! Every time I open an online shopping portal or a blog or even a random website, the Falsies ads would flash on screen. It began to haunt my dreams until I couldn’t take it anymore! I rushed to a store and got one to see for myself what the buzz was all about.
About Maybelline The Falsies Volum’ Express Mascara:-
• Patented Spoon Brush fans out lashes from corner-to-corner, while our Pro-Keratin formula instantly builds volume without clumping • Unique flexible wand helps to lift and separate lashes to provide the look of 300% more visible, fuller lashes, no gaps from any angle • Contact lens safe and ophthalmologist-tested • Washable, also available in Waterproof formula
- Quantity: 7.5 ml
- Price: INR 425
- Shelf life: 30 months from mfg date
- Ingredients:Aqua/Water, Paraffin, Potassium Cetyl Phosphate, Cera Alba/Beeswax, Cera Carnauba/Carnauba Wax, Acacia Senegal/Acacia Senegal Gum, Glycerin, Cetyl Alcohol, Acrylates Copolymer, Hydroxyethylcellulose, PEG/PPG-17/18 Dimethicone, Steareth-20, Phenoxyethanol, Hydrolyzed Corn Starch, Caprylyl glycol, Sodium Polymethacrylate, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Hydrogenated Jojoba Oil, Hydrogenated Palm Oil, Simethicone, Rayon, Disodium EDTA, Arginine, Serine, Glutamic Acid, 2-Oleamido-1, 3-Octadecanediol, Silica, Panthenol.
- Packaging:-It comes in a blister packaging with product details and complete list of ingredients. The mascara comes in a vibrant purple (almost magenta) tube with metallic turquoise lettering. The packaging looks attractive and although fairly chubby, it is slimmer than Maybelline Colossal Mascara. Also, unlike Colossal, this one has a flat bottom which means the tube can be made to stand upright.
- Mascara Wand:–The distinguishing feature of this mascara is the patented spoon brush that is slightly curved to resemble a spoon. The bristles are of medium density and are broad at the base and centre, and tapers towards the tip. There is an indentation toward the end of the wand, a little above the bristles. The wand flexes/bends at this point (refer image).
The formula is fairly thick and contributes to the volumizing factor. It is not overly wet and dries fairly fast, so you have to be quick between coats. Layering on too much can make lashes feel heavy and there is a tendency for the top and bottom lashes to kinda stick to each other when you flutter your lashes.
Here’s a potential idea for a TV commercial: Girl sees her man. He sees her. They make eye contact. She flutters her thick lashes loaded with Falsies mascara. She can’t open her eyes since her top and bottom lashes are stuck together! He rushes to her rescue. She begins to fall and he manages to swoop her in his arms right in the nick of time. Slowly she manages to open her eyes and he sees how lovely, lush and voluminous her lashes look. He says, “What beautiful eyes you have, my love”. She shyly replies, “All the better to see you with, darling”. Then he says, “What big teeth you have”. “All the better to…” (Okay, this isn’t the story of Red Riding Hood ) Anyways, the purple tube of Maybelline Falsies flashes on screen. The secret to her lovely lashes is out! And they all lived happily ever after…
See….this is why I am NOT in the advertising industry!! Although, come to think of it, ads today are just as crazy Hmm….maybe I should give it a shot. What say? No?? Sigh! Okay, let’s get on with the review then…
Left – Before. Right – After (Single coat):-
The stickiness I just mentioned happened only once when I spent like 12 straight hours inside a car . On normal days, it wore fairly well and my lashes did not stick to each other.
Does this give the illusion of false lashes? I have to say… well almost. It does give amazing length and lovely volume. It made lashes look sooo long that it kinda freaked me out. The volume is great too and I love the dramatic look. The mood spoiler is the clumpy formula. One coat goes on fairly well and is great for daytime wear. By one coat, I mean applying the mascara and combing through several times until I get all the clumps off. Two coats kinda gives me the “falsies” look but it gets overly clumpy.
Don’t be petrified by all the scary eye swatches. These were taken up close and they do look pretty awful but I assure it’s not as bad in real life. Although it is clumpy, the photos seem to have exaggerated the effects.
What’s to like about Maybelline The Falsies Mascara:-
- Attractive, travel-friendly packaging
- Unique spoon-shaped wand
- Gives amazing length to lashes
- Delivers fair amount of volume
- Curls lashes lightly and help to hold them as well
- One coat really lifts lashes and makes eyes look more open and bright
- 2 coats do give the illusion of wearing falsies (but requires combing through several times)
- Stays put the entire day without smudging
- Although this is the “washable” variant, it did not come flowing down when I splashed my face with water several times
- Very effortless to remove since it comes off easily with soap and water. No vigorous rubbing required
- This mascara will look good on those with lashes of medium thickness
- Did not irritate my eyes even when I had poked myself
What not to like about Maybelline The Falsies Mascara:-
- Those with very thin or sparse lashes, will find that this makes their lashes look like wrinkled spider legs
- Formula is clumpy and needs to be combed through several times
- When applying the second coat, it clumps even further and gets all goopy
- Not for those looking for a natural finish. But then, they wouldn’t be buying a mascara that’s labeled “Falsies”, right?
Before & After (with Flash):
This mascara truly delivers dramatic results. Since I have lashes of medium thickness, it gives me amazing volume and incredible length. Although the photos look intimidating, in reality the mascara doesn’t look this scary. I love the finish it gives and enjoy wearing a single, layered coat. I wouldn’t really advice applying 2 coats since the formula is quite clumpy and begins to look weird when worn heavily. How I wish the formula had been better since I love the drama this gives. Those with very thin, barely-there lashes had better stay away from this one since it’s very tricky to work with on sparse lashes. Those with lashes of medium thickness (most Indians are blessed with this), and those who love volume and drama are surely going to enjoy this!
Have you tried Maybelline The Falsies Voum’ Epress Mascara?
You might like reading these also:-
- The Body Shop Vanilla Bliss Lip Balm Review
- Maybelline Superstay 14 Hour Lipstick Infinitely Fuchsia Review & Swatches
- Maybelline – Express Finish 40 – Nail Paint – Turquoise Lagoon NOTD
- Shiro Cosmetics Intertubes in Sad Keanu Review & Swatches
- Organix Moroccan Argan Oil Renewing Penetrating Oil Review
- Now In Stores: Estee Lauder Introduces Violet Underground
- How To Get Rid Of Unwanted Hair From My Chin & Throat