I am obsessed with hair care. Along with my love for hair oils, I love exploring different DIY hair masks and today I will be telling you guys about one of my favorite mask that has turned out to be such a boon for my hair. Let me tell you how I started making this mask- I absolutely love coconut water and since a year I’ve made it a point to have water from at least one coconut each day. The sweeter the water, more is flesh on the inside. I don’t like to have the flesh and disliked the fact that it was all going waste, so I thought of using it in hair mask.
- Flesh of a green/tender coconut (quantity would depend on the length of your hair)
- One or two whole eggs
- Lavender essential oil
Benefits of Coconut: We Indians are no stranger to coconuts. Coconuts are cool for the head. They have anti bacterial and anti inflammatory properties. The flesh of tender coconut is laden with many minerals which help hair growth.
Benefits of Eggs: Hair is 70% protein and eggs are laden with proteins, so use of eggs helps in rebuilding hair shaft. It strengthens, smoothens and gives amazing shine to hair.
Benefits of Lavender Essential Oil: Lavender essential oil is amazing for hair growth. It helps in the blood circulation of the scalp and imparts hair growth. It treats anxiety, sleeplessness and stress. Along with these features, it has an amazing smell.
- Grind the tender coconut pieces to make a paste to a consistency you will be comfortable working with. Add plain water or coconut water to make the paste. I like to have it of the consistency of thick yogurt
- Beat eggs in a bowl
- Now mix the two together. The mixture should now turn light yellow
- Add 10 drops of Lavender essential oil to the mixture. This should help mask the smell of eggs. Be careful with the amount of essential oil that you add as essential oils are concentrated. (Do not use any essential oils in case of pregnancy)
- Always do a test on few strands of hair before applying eggs. Some types of hair don’t react well with protein and rather than making your hair soft, it could actually make it brittle. In such a case you could avoid egg entirely or just use the egg white or egg yolk.
- Lavender essential oil could be replaced with any of your favorite essential oil or with vanilla essence to mask the smell of eggs.
Application: Once the mixture is ready, wear gloves lay old news paper on the area you would be working at and you are ready to go. Apply this mixture in sections and cover the entire head. Put on a shower cap and let the mixture stay in your hair for an hour. By the time this mask is working its magic, listen to some music, do some chores, sip a cup of green tea or best- take a beauty nap. After an hour, wash it off thoroughly with luke warm water till you get out every last bit of this mask from your hair. Shampoo and condition as usual. At times I skip the conditioner, because this mask makes my hair really smooth.
Usage: Use this mask once a week for 2-3 months. It has really helped me control split ends and my hair is prone to less breakage. The smoothness and shine it imparts is amazing. Do try it and let me know how happy your hair is!
Do you know any DIY Hair Mask which helps in strengthening hair ?
P.S – If you have any DIY beauty recipes then mail us at [email protected]
You might like reading these also:-
- MAC So Chaud Lipstick Review & Swatches
- Bourjois Paris Levres Contour lip liner Rouge Soyeux 20 Review & Swatches
- My Makeup Story – Entry 2 By Shweta
- Casanova Paris Color co-ordinated Lipstick and Nail Polish Review & Swatches
- Soulflower Coldpressed Jojoba Oil Review
- Sleek Twist Up Eye Pencil Sea Blue Review ,Swatches & EOTD
- Best Ebay Sellers Fashion & Beauty – Suggestions
- Maybelline Colorsensational Moisture Extreme Lipcolor Burgandy Review & Swatches
- Forest Essentials Tejasvi Ubtan Review
- Bath & Body Works Aromatherapy Stress Relief Eucalyptus Spearmint Sugar Scrub Review