Ever since I started becoming more aware of the many chemicals put into beauty products, I decided to experiment and come up with simple homemade alternatives which would work equally well and wouldn’t hurt my pockets. Here is a simple facial scrub recipe with easily available ingredients and takes absolutely no time to make!
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Sugar (white/brown)
- Any facial oil
- Essential oil (optional)
- Cocoa: High in Vit E and contains anti oxidants that repair the damaged skin by fighting the free radicals on the skin, and provide anti ageing properties
- Sugar: A natural exfoliant that gets rid of dead, lifeless skin layers which block pores that don’t let our skin breathe. It contains glycolic & alpha hydroxyl acid witch are extremely crucial in skin care.
Method: (I make this scrub fresh each time I use. You could also make it in a small batch)
- Pound sugar in a mortar & pestle. I don’t like to use whole grains of sugar because I find them to be too harsh on my skin. Using castor sugar won’t do any good as it won’t give you the scrubbing effect.
- Take cocoa powder and sugar in a small container. Mix them well.
- Now add few drops of any facial oil (for the purpose of getting the whole mixture together).
- 4. One drop of your favorite essential oil can also be used. Pregnant women should stay away from essential oils.
- In case you are making it in a small batch- break open a capsule of Vit E (as a preservative) to this mixture and store it in an air tight container.
Usage: I first cleanse my face well and then use this scrub. I use it twice or at the max thrice a week, at night. If you find your skin has become red post exfoliation, discontinue the use of this scrub. Either your skin isn’t getting well along with either the size of the sugar crystal or sugar as a whole. Even though this scrub contains few drops of oil, it doesn’t leave any greasy layer behind. Post exfoliation, I find my skin to be smooth and nourished. The skin feels moist hence I generally skip a moisturizer.
Did you like the Cocoa-Sugar face scrub?
You might also like reading these:-