The Clinique Chubby Sticks are a product that are raved about in the blogosphere. But I find myself incapable of shelling out 1k for a glorified lip balm. While I am sure that a lot of you have and love the products to death, my allowance doesn’t allow me to.
Nevertheless, I set out to do what I do best- finding an inexpensive alternative. The product I am now going to review is one of the first products that I looked into.
- Price – $2
About the e.l.f. Jumbo Lip Gloss Stick in Movie Star
The Jumbo Lip Gloss Stick is a tinted lip color that glides on like a lipstick but looks like a gloss. With nourishing Jojoba, Soybean and Vitamin E key ingredients, it conditions and moisturizes the lips. The twist-up component and smooth glide formula is easy to use for on-the-go application.
- Ingredients – Polyisobutene, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Ethylexyl Palmitate, Ceresin, Tridecyl Trimellitate, Disostearyl Malate, Microcrystalline Wax (cera microcristallina), Polyethylene, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Glycine Max (Soybean) Oil, Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Oil, Tocopherol, Propylparaben, Methylparaben. May Contain: Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Red No.27 Lake (CU 45410), Red No.7 Lake (CI 15850), Yellow No.5 Lake (CI 19140), Blue No.1 Lake (CI 42090), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Mica (CI 77019)
My take on the e.l.f. Jumbo Lip Gloss Stick in Movie Star:-
While this colour looks dramatic and pigmented in the bullet it is actually very sheer and slightly waxy. It looks like a warm oxblood red but is actually a very beautiful English Rose-esque pink red that just brightens up the face. It does not have any shimmer, like most of the Jumbo Glosses in e.l.f. do. Thanks to the twist up style packaging, it is also very easy to use this product.
The colour payoff is pretty decent especially because it is a lip gloss, which justifies the slightly weak pigmentation. The pigmentation can be built up with multiple swipes of the product but these multiple swipes may sometimes look a tad patchy so be sure to build with care.
This product does moisturise my lips and lasts for a decent 2-3 hours. But within 2 hours it loses its glossy shine and remains as a stain for an hour (at best) more. But the worst part of this product, is it’s noxious smell. It is so very strong that I can’t even bring myself to take a whiff if I can avoid it. It disappears after application of the product, but even that 1 minute is just too much to take. But then again, I have a very sensitive nose and even a strong perfume sends me ranting. My friends find the smell unpleasant but by no means unbearable, so maybe it’s just me.
Looking through the Clinique Chubby Sticks swatches online, I can honestly say that this seems like a very close dupe of The Clinique Chubby Stick in Chunky Cherry. Don’t take my word for it, seeing as I have never owned a Chubby Stick and have an untrained eye but they do seem very close.
What I like about the e.l.f. Jumbo Lip Gloss Stick in Movie Star:-
- Suitable for all skin tones
- Easy to apply
- Travel safe packaging
- e.l.f. products are not tested on animals
- Glossy Finish
- Lasts 2-3 hours
What I dislike about the e.l.f. Jumbo Lip Gloss Stick in Movie Star:-
- One of the most expensive than the regular Essential line in e.l.f.
- May clog pores for certain people
- Contains parabens
- May look patchy once layered
- Unhygienic application
- Slightly waxy textured
- Godawful smell
- Gloss wears off after 2 hours, leaving behind a stain which lasts a while longer
Would I repurchase the e.l.f. Jumbo Lip Gloss Stick in Movie Star?
Nah! Not right now atleast, I want to try the Revlon chubby sticks first.
Would I recommend the e.l.f. Jumbo Lip Gloss Stick in Movie Star?
Ofcourse I will.
- Rating – 3/5
Have you tried the e.l.f. Jumbo Lip Gloss Stick in Movie Star?
You might like reading these also:-
- Lakme Absolute Face Stylist Compact Powder Review
- 20 Fairness Tips
- Himalaya Herbals Protective Sunscreen Lotion Spf 15 Review
- MAC Film Noir Lipstick Review & Swatches
- Maybelline Cheeky Glow Blush in Creamy Cinnamon Review
- 10 Most Effective Face Pack Recipes
- DIY – Homemade Scrub-Moisturizer from Almond and Rose
- Maybelline Colorsensational Lipstick Fatal Red Review
- LANCOME Rouge In Love Lipstick 174 Crazy Tangerine Review