All About Catnip Essential Oil + Benefits
Catnip is plant which is also known as Cat Mint. It is a whitish-grey plant with the scientific name Nepata Cataria. Catnip has a mint-like aroma and has a lot to do with cats. Catnip gives cats a truly hair-raising experience and stimulates them, very relevant to its name, isn’t it? Well this is not the only reason why people use catnip.
Catnip has a lot more of significant usages other than only stimulating cats. Catnip is a well known medicinal herb that is used for treating numerous ailments. Catnip has Valeric Acid, Geraniol, Monoterpene, Nepetalic Anhydride, Citral, Limonene, Dispentine, Thymol, Citronella, Caryophyllene, Nerol, Bio Flavonoids, Nepetalic Acid, and carotenoids, all these dedicate towards its medical usages.
How is Catnip Consumed?
Catnip can be consumed in a variety of ways. Catnip essential oils are popularly used as pest repellent and can also be applied directly onto the skin. For using catnip as a dermal anti-inflammatory agent, catnip essential oils are applied directly to the skin as a compress.
Catnip is also available in the form of pill as an herbal supplement. It is easily available at many health, food or nutrition stores.
Tea is another popular way in which catnip is taken. The flowering heads of the plant are directly steeped in boiled water and consumed like any other herbal tea.
Today I shall share with you all most popular Catnip Essential oil health benefits. Read on.
Health Benefits of Catnip Essential Oil
- Astringent: Catnip oil has astringent properties. It tightens loosened skin, muscles, and gums. It can prevent the loosening of teeth and teeth loss for a long time if used regularly.
- Diaphoretic: Catnip essential oil promotes profuse sweating. Many people hate sweating, because it creates body odor and a wet feeling, but if facts are to be believed, sweat odors signify health problems, healthy people do not have significant sweat odors. Catnip essential oil helps you sweat and helps you reduce your weight, reduce blood pressure, and remove toxins and excess salt from the body, keeps your heart healthy and in some cases and can also drive away fevers.
- Stomachic: Catnip oil keeps the stomach in order and functioning well. It cures stomach disorders and ulcers, while ensuring the proper flow of bile and gastric juices and acids in the stomach.
- Emenagogue: Catnip essential oil stimulates the hormone secretions and helps to regulate menstruation. It is really a good cure for someone who is suffering from obstructed and irregular menses. It also eases cramps and reduces the pain associated with menstruation.
- Nervine: Catnip oil behaves as a tonic for the nerves and the nervous system. It helps to cure many nervous disorders, including shaking hands or limbs, nervousness, vertigo, Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, convulsions, sluggishness, and a lack of reflexes. Basically, it strengthens nerves and activates them.
- Anti-spasmodic: Catnip essential oil has abilities to cure almost all forms of cramps, be them muscular, intestinal, respiratory, or any other part. It efficiently relaxes muscle pulls and helps to cure spasmodic cholera. Since it is an anti-spasmodic, it cures all other problems related with cramps or spasms very effectively.
- Sedative: Catnip essential oil has remarkable sedative properties. It is very effective in curing insomnia, tension, and anxiety. Basically, it relaxes both the body and mind.
- Carminative: A carminative is a property that helps in the removal of gases from the intestines. Gas that is trapped in the intestines and forced upwards can be very dangerous and sometimes even fatal. It causes a choking feeling, chest pains, indigestion, and uneasiness, raises blood pressure and gives acute stomach aches. Catnip essential oil effectively removes gases through downward movements and does not allow additional gases formation. Catnip oil is very good for those who are suffering from chronic gas trouble.
- Diuretic: Catnip oil is diuretic in nature, which means that it promotes urination. It increases the frequency of urination. Thus, it is very beneficial for those who are suffering from any extra accumulation of water in the body, which results in swelling, due to chronic renal failure. It also helps in losing weight, reducing blood pressure, and removing toxins like uric acid from the body.
- Other Benefits: It helps in curing dyspepsia, colic, migraine, and flatulence. Nepetalactone has insect repellant properties and keeps away cockroaches, mosquitoes, and other insects. Thymol, a component of Catnip oil, has proven antiseptic properties.
These were some great health benefits of Catnip essential oil. Catnip is any form is not recommended for pregnant ladies, so please seek medical consultation if you intend to use it. You can try blending Catnip essential oil with Lemon, Lime, Mint, Eucalyptus and Myrrh oil, it really blends well with these.
Have you tried Catnip essential oil?
You might like to read:
- 8 Essential Oils Available in India
- All About Marjoram Essential Oil & Its Benefits
- 10 Benefits Of Lavender Essential Oil
- Benefits Of Essential Oils For Health
- All About Argan Oil Essential Oil & How To Use!