Is Applying Oil Good For Your Skin
Oils have fatty acids that are required to keep the skin moisturised and hydrated and prevent from dryness. If you strip your face off its natural oils, oil production will increase by your skin to compensate.
If you apply oil on your skin there is a balance of oils which reduces the production of sebum. Oil that suits your skin type and your needs should be used.
You should avoid oils from citrus family a they have a nice smell, but they do photosensitize the skin.
The extraction method should be steam distilled, expeller pressed and CO2-extracted oils being preferable to solvent-extracted oils.
Select the oils for the effect you wish like some have anti aging properties, some help in hyperpigmentation or have antiseptic properties.
Below are few oils with their benefits:
- Jojoba oil: Jojoba oil is light in make and helps to reduce production of oil on face. You can combine it with other oils that are dry to be able to use it daytime.
- Rosehip oil: Rosehip oil is dry in nature and can be added to any oil to increase moisturisation. It helps in increasing production of collagen and regenerates cells. It helps to reduce wrinkles as it has vit C and fatty acids.
- Castor oil: Castor oil is the best for acne prone skin as it penetrates deep into skin unclogging pores and removing any dirt buildup. It contains vitamins, along with antibacterial properties.
- Hemp seed oil: It is a very thick oil that helps in reducing pores and eliminate blackheads. It is a dry oil that can be combined with other oils that are thick for added moisturisation.
- Tea Tree Essential Oil: Tea tree essential oil is used mainly to deal with acne-prone skin. Its has antibacterial properties that remove bacteria that cause acne. It regulates oil production, that reduces acne and prevents further acne.
- Olive oil: Olive oil contains vitamins, proteins and unsaturated fat. It deep cleanses and improves skin’s elasticity and combat dryness.
Some other oils you can try are coconut oil for very dry skin, Tamanu oil, Carrot seed oil, Frankincense Oil, Geranium Oil, Lemon Oil, Lavender Oil and many more
How to use oil on skin for cleansing:
Take a little oil in your hands and massage the oil on your face. Use a towel that is damp and warm and wipe your face with it removing the oil.
How to use oil on skin for moisturising:
You can use either a single oil or try a combination of oils, just take a few drops and apply at nighttime for deep moisturization or apply a light oil at daytime.
You can even use oil as a body moisturiser especially for knees and elbows.
Do you use oil for your skin? Which is your favorite oil?
You might like to read:-