How To Treat Flaky Skin
Dry and flaky skin is a very common problem faced by us, and is a nightmare to me. We spend so much on products from the markets in the hope to soothe and treat dry skin, but nothing seems to work perfectly. Isn’t? But do you know that dry and flaky skin can be treated with the help of some very common ingredients in our house without burning holes in our pocket? Here are some useful tips which you can follow.
Firstly, know the reasons behind:
• Excessive dry skin. Dry air is one of the common reasons for dry skin, especially during the winter. Dry air pulls away the moisture from the skin and leaves the skin looking dull and lifeless. Low temperature, low humidity and strong and harsh winds worsen the skin condition.
• Skin disease such as dermatitis, eczema or psoriasis causes the skin to become swollen, red, dry and flaky.
• Sunlight is essential to your body and skin, but too much exposure to it can damage your skin as well.
• Prolonged exposure to hot water washes away the natural oils our skin excretes which help in keeping skin soft and naturally moisturized.
• Dehydration of skin is caused when we don’t have adequate water intake causing dry and flaky skin.
• Excessive use of soaps, harsh detergents and utensil cleaners can also make skin dry by removing the natural oils.
• Sometimes we inherit the tendency to have dry skin. Our skin may not be able to hold onto moisture very well. May be our skin produces less oil, which means we can’t retain water on your skin as you once could.
• Our sweat glands may not produce as much moisture as other people’s.
• Certain medical condition and the drugs can also make your skin dry.
Egg yolk and honey
Egg yolks are jam-packed with nutrition and honey is among the oldest natural beauty products used to treat health, skin and body. Beat an egg yolk with a spoon of honey, apply on face and wash off after 15-20 minutes.
You can also try this coffee infused egg yolk pack as well.
Mash banana and mix it with a spoon of honey and milk powder. Don’t eat it. Apply on face and dry areas, massage gently and wash off after 15-20 minutes.
Take some olive or almond or sesame oil or coconut oil or the mixture of all these oils and massage the body prior to bathing. A hot oil massage will work even better. This will make the skin soft and smooth and will retain the moisture post bath.
You can apply plain curd or mix with honey. Apply on dry areas, massage gently and wash off after 30 minutes. This pack will not only soothe your dry skin, but will also remove tan and make skin super soft and supple.
You can apply plain honey or mix with milk or any other ingredient of your choice. Apply on face and dry areas, massage gently and wash off after 30 minutes. You can apply this everyday without worrying.
Mix a few drops of lime and two spoons of milk cream, massage gently on face and rub onto your hands and legs.
Mix aloe Vera pulp, honey and fresh cream/curd into a smooth paste. Make sure the quantity of Aloe Vera is more than the rest two. Apply on face and dry areas, massage gently and wash off after 30 minutes.
1. Lightly exfoliate skin once a week, no rough scrubbing. Use homemade scrubs that have a rich moisturizing base.
For homemade scrub recipe, click here
2. Never use any face-wash or soap right after using homemade packs.
3. Wear rubber gloves when using detergents.
4. Drink at least 8 glasses of water daily.
5. Use natural homemade soaps that don’t contain harmful ingredients.
6. Eat oily fish like salmon, tuna, forage fishes, they are a good source of vitamins A and D, and are rich in omega-3 fatty acids which help in accumulation of natural oils and thus alleviating dry skin.
7. Keep a moisturiser handy, always.
8. Make changes in your diet. Eat foods rich in proteins, vitamins and minerals. Milk, eggs, cream, nut, mushroom, carrots, cucumber, tomato, leafy vegetables and oranges are some of the nutrient rich foods that can d wonders.
Follow these tips to soothe dry flaky skin. The faster, the better.
How do you treat flaky skin?
You might also like to read