Hair Dye Allergy And Prevention
Recently it was all over the news that Hollywood Superstar, Pauley Perrette got hospitalized due to hair dye allergy. The dye was so reactive that her face and eyelids began to swell. Pauley Perrette has blonde hair and she dyed them for Dark Brown Color.
No matter how big brand you use for dying your hair, if celebrities can get allergies, you too can easily get. The brand or the quality doesn’t rarely matters, if you are using a Artificial Hair Dye, there are equal chances that you can pass through the pain.
Phenylenediamine (PPD), which can cause allergic contact dermatitis, was present in 89% of products.
The main cause of Allergy through Die is the content of phenylenediamine (PPD) in it, PPD is used in 87% of the products. PPD is very effective in penetrating the hair shaft and follicle, also binding to proteins in the skin. Because of these reasons, many European Countries like Germany, Sweden, France have banned PPD.
Other than this, other chemicals found in hair dye are also known to cause allergic reactions which include cobalt, generally found in brown hair dyes, and glyceryl thioglycolate, found in permanent wave solutions used for conjunction with hair dye.
On skin on the scalp, neck, forehead and ears and sometimes even the eyes. The symptoms may include:
- Burning, itching and pain.
- Swelling of eyelids.
- Redness of the skin.
- Dry skin.
- Breathing problem.
- Swelling of face.
The skin starts peeling afterwards.
- Before using any hair color, do a patch test in order to see if any kind of irritation occurs on the area. because a small area on the arm/ elbow is easy to treat than an irritated scalp as it damages the hair texture and the skin around the forehead. Applying the stroke of mixture on the inner arm and keep it for half an hour. Wash it and see if it irritates till 24 hours, if it is not dye is safe to use.
- Never pick up any cheap brand cosmetic hair color just for the sake of color because more than that there will be problems if the cheap hair dye creates skin allergies!
- Applying a thick layer of petroleum jelly before applying hair dye over the sensitive area can be the preventive method
- Applying Jojoba Oil on face and then applying dye would prevent the reaction.
I hope you all take care of the basic things which can cause allergies on the skin & hair!
Did you know about Hair Dye Allergy And Prevention?
You might also like to read