How to Remove Freckles On The Face
Freckles are flat, round and brown spots that appear on the skin. They contain melanin which is the brown pigment in the skin. They are a sign of skin damage & exposure to sunlight is the main reason behind freckles. Light skinned people usually tend to get more freckles than those with darker complexions. Redheads and blondes are the most freckle prone.
What Causes Freckles?
- Excessive exposure to sunlight
- Hormonal imbalance
How To Prevent Occurrence Of Freckles?
Prevention is always better than cure! Follow these simple steps to avoid occurrence of freckles.
- Always apply a quality sunscreen with an appropriate SPF a couple of times whenever going out in the sun.
- The sun rays are most harmful from 10 am to 4 pm so avoid going out during these hours.
- Protect yourself with long-sleeved shirts, broad-brimmed hats & UV-absorbent shades.
- Vitamin C is very helpful when dealing with freckles. Include citrus fruits, kiwis, spinach and other green leafy vegetables in your diet. You may also take vitamin C supplements after consulting your doctor.
How To Get Rid Of Freckles?
Lemon Juice: Lemon juice is a natural bleach & has skin lightening properties. Apply fresh lemon juice on the affected skin and gently massage. Leave it on for 10 minutes and rinse off with lukewarm water. Do this twice a day for several weeks. Make sure you keep it away from your eyes. You may also use a lemon sugar scrub to reduce the spots.
Sour Milk/Sour Cream: The lactic acid present in sour milk is a gentle peeling agent & prevents pigmentation of skin. Apply some sour cream on the affected skin and let it dry for a few minutes. Gently wipe it off with a soft tissue or a towel & follow with some moisturizer. Follow this every day until the freckles go away. You may also rinse the affected skin daily with sour milk or even yogurt.
Honey: Honey is a natural moisturizer & it contains enzymes that help lighten skin pigmentation. Mix honey and water and slightly heat it. Apply this on the affected area and allow it to sit for a few minutes. Then rinse thoroughly with warm water. Follow this daily for a several weeks. Alternatively, you may also mix honey with lemon juice to treat freckles.
Papaya: Papaya juice is also very effective to get rid of freckles. It contains the enzyme papain, which exfoliates & lightens the skin. Apply fresh papaya juice directly on the freckles and gently massage. Rinse off after 10 minutes with cold water. Do this once daily for at least for a few weeks.
Onion: Onions contain sulfur which helps in exfoliation of the skin. Preferably take a red onion & cut it into thick slices. Now rub these slices gently on the freckles. Do this twice a day till the freckles fade away. You may also apply onion juice mixed with vinegar on the affected skin. Repeat this daily for one or two weeks.
Buttermilk: Buttermilk contains lactic acid which has natural bleaching properties & makes your skin soft & supple. Simply apply buttermilk over the freckles to reduce their appearance. You may also make a soothing compress with buttermilk. Another option is to make a thick paste of powdered oatmeal and buttermilk.
Sake: Sake is a Japanese wine made from rice. It contains kojic acid which helps the freckles to fade away. In addition, it moisturizes your skin as well. Apply a paste of sake, honey, yogurt and oatmeal powder to reduce the spots.
Cucumber: Cucumber juice refreshes your skin & reduces blemishes. It also contains phenylalanine which effectively reduces the storage of melanin in your skin. Simply grate cucumber and apply on your face as a pack. You may also apply cucumber juice or cucumber seed oil on the freckles.
Banana-Mint Face Mask for Freckles: This is a very effective remedy for reducing freckles. Banana contains a host of minerals and vitamins & mint contains loads of antioxidants. Make a paste & apply on the affected area. Let it dry for some time. Then rinse & pat dry.
Freckles Removal Treatments
Although there are several modern treatments to remove freckles, but these require specialist hands & are expensive. In addition, such treatments use chemicals which might have some side-effects on your skin. Make sure you consult your doctor before going for any of these treatments.
- Bleaching Creams containing hydroquinone and kojic acid help lighten freckles if they are applied consistently & are quite effective.
- Microdermabrasion: This treatment method uses a jet of minute particles to remove the top layer of skin. As a result, it helps in lightening freckles & other skin imperfections. This procedure is normally carried out over a number of sessions.
- Cryosurgery: Cryosurgery uses liquid nitrogen to freeze the skin growths & lesions. However, not all spots respond to this form of therapy.
- Laser Treatment: This method has a high success rate & helps lighten the spots.
- Chemical Peels can also help lighten freckles and reduce pigmentation.
Have you tried these remedies to remove freckles?
You might also like to read:-