Post By Ankita Saroj
What do you immediately think of if someone asks you, how do you take care of your skin?
Think, think…….go on!
Right, so most people probably thought of their skincare routine, their holy grail cleansers, moisturisers and what-not but I’m certain, exfoliation would be a skipped thought.
If you are new to exfoliation and here to learn about it’s benefits, then keep on reading, because better late than never!
In a nutshell, exfoliation means removal of dead skin cells from the outermost layers of the skin. It can be done through scrubbing the skin with an abrasive like microfiber cloths, face/skin scrubs, pumice stones or hair-removal methods (waxing, shaving etc.) There are other chemical methods as well, which are carried out by professionals.
It is important to note a few things, before we begin:
· Do not exfoliate more than twice a week as it may make your skin sensitive and facilitate rapid ageing.
· Do not exfoliate sensitive/irritated areas on the skin.
· Use only gentle exfoliators.
The best part about exfoliation is that is it not as difficult to do as it is to spell . You can easily grab a good quality face/skin scrub from a store and get to work. You may want to use lukewarm water as it will open the clogged pores and you can draw more dirt from them through scrubbing. Without being too harsh, gently massage the face or body in circular motions until you feel fit and then wash it off with water. Another way I personally use is to bathe like usual and then rub a washcloth on my skin to get rid of dead cells. I do this because it is much gentler and since my skin is already soft after the bath, the dead skin comes off easily without applying any force at all.
TOP 10 reasons to exfoliate:
1. Give an instant glow to your skin! Since the outermost layer of skin is constantly exposed to all the dirt, pollution and grime of the world, it is necessary to give it an extra step of cleanse. After you exfoliate, all the layers of grime build-up will be stripped and you will notice a shiny, glowing skin instantly.
2. Enhance growth of new cells- Naturally, once the dead skin cells are out, you make way for the new cells. This biological process will make your skin healthy, internally as well as externally.
3. Convenient- It is not time-consuming and can be done easily at home. You can easily get any facial/body scrub at the market and use it to remove dead skin cells. There are many different kinds available and between different price ranges as well.
4. Increase blood circulation of your skin- When you exfoliate, it creates some friction on the surface of the skin which increases blood circulation. It leads to breakdown of fatty tissues and drains toxins from the skin, giving a healthy glow to your skin!
5. Clear clogged pores- Who likes their face looking like a porous rock? Well, you can easily avoid having an acne breakout by dislodging the blackheads and whiteheads beforehead through exfoliation.
6. Allows absorption of other skincare products- Many aestheticians advise to apply masks and face-packs after exfoliation because once the outer layer is cleared up, the product can penetrate deeper and act in its full potential. Do not forget to apply a moisturizer right after!
7. Fights signs of ageing- Whenever you apply makeup, it tends to settle on the textured areas of your skin. With regular exfoliation, you can clear that texture, giving way to soft and supple looking skin.
8. Helps with ingrowing hairs- If you had a hair-removal procedure done, you might notice some ingrown hairs which cause bumpy skin. Exfoliation will remove that and give way for the hair to grow through the skin.
9. Helps with dry skin problems- Many people come across dry or flakey skin before they realize they need more than just a moisturizer. That’s when an exfoliator comes into play and clears that flakey skin, giving room to new skin cells, which will absorb the moisturizer and make the skin look beautiful.
10. Helps with hyperpigmentation- Hyper-pigmentation is sometimes caused due to build up of dirt and grime on the skin. Regular exfoliation can gradually clear that out and cause skin to look more even-toned.