15 Do-s and Dont-s While Taking Care Of Brittle Nails
Your nails are the reflection of yourself. Beautiful nails are assets in true sense. They not only add to the beauty of our whole look but healthy nails also mean that you are healthy from within.
Brittle nails which are prone to breakage is one of the most annoying and one of the most common problems faced by us.
With winter around the corner one might find their nails weaker than usual. So I am here with some solutions to make your nails healthy and supple.
- The first step is to properly moisturise hands and nails. Rub a little petroleum jelly on your nails daily before going to bed, and leave overnight. Boroline works as well. Boroline is a wonder cream, trust me.
- If your nails are overly damaged then go for creams and moisturisers that are specially formulated to cure damaged and brittle nails. They can be available at any proper drug store without prescription.
- Again, moisturization is the key. Apply honey on the finger tips and massage your nails with it, preferably before bath. This would not only moisturise your nails, but would also help in strengthening them.
- Home manicure is far better than the ones we do in salon. Take some luke warm water, add a pinch of salt and few drops of shampoo in it. Soak hands for 10 minutes, wash and wipe gently. Then apply some moisturising lotion/cream.
- Use baking soda to clean your nails and soften cuticles. Dip a toothbrush in baking soda and gently scrub your nails with it. Donâ€™t be too harsh. This can be done once a week.
- Slight buffing once in a while is good for maintaining the natural glow of nails.
- Warm some sesame oil or rich vegetable oil. Add a few drops of sandalwood/lavender essential oil into the bowl of oil. Stir tem and soak your nails for 15 minutes. Do it once or twice a week.
- Calcium:Dry or brittle nails are a symptom of calcium deficiency. Drink more milk or consume more dairy products for more calcium in your diet.
- Vitamins and Protein: A lack of adequate vitamin and protein can lead to brittle nails as well. Have a balanced diet with adequate fruits and vegetables, and if you are a non-vegetarian, then chicken and egg too.
Biotin tablets that are rich in Vitamin H can be consumed, but only under doc prescription.
- Iron and Minerals: Add more green leafy vegetables, grams, lean red meats, tofu to your diet. These would help in replenishing the iron and mineral deficiency in you.
- Donâ€™t forget your cuticles. Keeping your cuticles healthy is essential to growing stronger nails. Do not cut your cuticles. Simply push them back with a wooden cuticle pushing stick after soaking your fingers in warm water.
- Nail treatments like from Colobar and Flomar can temporarily take care of brittle nails.
- Donâ€™t wear your nail polishes for more than 3-4 days at a stretch. Let them breathe…!! But again having nail polish on your nails also makes them stronger, although only temporarily. It adds a shield of protection to your natural nail, thus preventing splitting and peeling. So wear them for 3-4 days and then with a break of one days in between, apply again.
- Avoid the frequent use of acetone based nail polish remover. Acetone quickly removes moisture from the nails and makes them dry.
- Your nails are like jewels, so stop using them like tools. Wear gloves while doing household chores. The exposure to cleaning chemicals and water can cause your nails to become brittle or can also worsen the condition.
- Donâ€™t keep you nails too long. Long nails are more fragile and break more easily than short ones. Clipping and filing your nails on a regular basis can prevent brittle nails
Dry and brittle nails can be a painful problem as well as an ugly one. If your talons are brittle, cracked, thin or splitting, or prone to breaking, donâ€™t neglect them. Follow the above steps to have healthy and supple nails.
And even after following these steps if your problem is not resolved, then I would recommend you to visit a dermatologist to treat your problem.
Do you have tips to share about nail care?
You might like to read:-