Post By Swati,
Â Red lipstick is a classic makeup trend. It has been in vogue since time immemorial and shows no signs of retiring into oblivion. Be it runway shows, movies, advertisements or magazine editorials, you can often find models and actresses flaunting red pouts. Red Lipstick draws attention to the face, away from the problem areas, in effect making you look oh-so-fab.
Most of us are of the view that red lipsticks look good on models, but it will not suit me. But the truth is, irrespective of whether you are fair-skinned or dusky, whether you have bee-stung lips or thin lips, whether you are warm-toned or cool-toned, there is one red out there that was made only for you. That one particular red, when put on, will instantly brighten up your face, bring out your beautiful eyes and leave you looking and feeling like a glam-diva! All the other reds will leave you looking like a clown or much worse, a side-kick from the movie Chandni Bar.
The question is, How do you choose your perfect red lipstick?
One way is to experiment. Try on numerous shades of red to find that one perfect shade. Sounds like quite a chore? There are a number of tricks to help you find your perfect red.
- Fair skinned ladies should look for blue-based reds like plums, berry, crimson or cherry instead of opting for shocking red. Stay away from reds with brown or gold undertones.
True reds like scarlett, cherry will pop up beautifully against medium complexion. Try to stay away from orange-based reds as it will make you look too pale.
Dark-skinned women should go for warmer and deeper shades of red like burgundy, brick, cranberry, sangria, garnet etc. You can go for gold-based and orange-based reds too since it will go great with your dark skin.
- Blue-based reds will make your teeth look whiter while red-based will have the opposite effect.
- Avoid red shades that blend into your skin-tone. It will make you looks paler and older than you actually are.
- It is said that the lipstick shade that looks best on you would be the shade closest to the color of your gums. Keep this in mind while picking out your reds.
- Mix and blend. If you cannot find your perfect red, mix and the shades you have. This is the best way to experiment without splurging.
- Lastly, the most important of all. Apply the red lipstick on your upper lip evenly. Now look into a mirror. If the shade of red is darker than your lower lip, it will suit you well. If not, then this red may not be the best choice for your skin tone.
Some tips for rocking red lips:
- Exfoliate your lips and then moisturize them well before using red. Red on chapped lips is a beauty faux pas you donâ€™t wanna commit.
- Use a lip liner before applying lipstick. Red lipsticks look ghastly if they bleed.
- Use a lip brush for precise application. You donâ€™t wanna go outside you natural lip line.
- Keep the rest of the makeup natural and simple. Let your lips be the focus.
- Never ever try to match red lipstick with red outfit. No two hues of red are ever similar, so you will never be able to get the exact shade of your dress. You will end be looking mismatched.
- Go for creamy texture over shimmery texture. The application will be easy and even and it will work great for both day and night looks. Shimmery red lips can be very hard to carry off. Matte red can look too done-up but it is a good choice if you need your lipstick to stay on for long without feathering.
- Pair your red lipstick with red nails and watch the world turn green with envy!
I hope these tips will help you find your perfect red. You might not find it right away, you might have to work at it…but trust me, when you do, it will be worth all the effort!
Most importantly, wear your red lips with confidence and just make it work!!!
I have attached a picture of how my favorite red lipstick looks on me. I made this color by mixing two shades and I quite like the results. It is not my perfect red, though. So, the search continuesâ€¦let me know what you guys think of this shade and what other shade I could mix to make it look better.