Ayurveda is our very own ancient science which has existed for more than 5000 years. Ayurveda in Sanskrit meansÂ “the science of life”, ‘Ayur’ means ‘life’ or ‘longevity’ & ‘Veda’ meansÂ ‘science’. Ayurveda not only focuses on curing the existing malady but also prevents it from reoccurring by balancing the doshas. When we are blessed with such great wisdom why should we look for solutions in chemical laden products?
Ayurvedic skin care can be classified into three types:
1. Vata: Vata skin type is generally dry
& thin. It is vulnerable to cold & dry weather. Vata skin may wrinkle &Â age faster as it tends to be dry, rough & flaky when out of balance.
2. Pitta: Pitta skin type is usuallyÂ sensitive, soft & generally of medium thickness. Pitta skin is prone to acne, rashes & sunspots.
3. Kapha: Kapha skinÂ tends to beÂ oily
& thick. Kapha skin type ages slower than the other two skin types but it is prone to black heads, enlarged pores & a dull complexion.
1. Since Vata skin is prone to dryness & dehydration,Â you must useÂ moisturising & nourishing ingredients like milk, cream, coconut oil, & honey for topical application.
2. Include essential fats in the form ofÂ nuts, whole milk
, fresh coconut
etc in your diet. Ayurveda highly recommends having 1 to 2 teaspoons ofÂ ghee (clarified butter) dailyÂ to balance the VataÂ dosha.
3. Spices like cardamom, cinnamon & gingerÂ help relive Vata dosha.
1. Soak 5-6 almonds in a bowl of whole milkÂ overnight. Grind the almonds
into a fine paste & combine it with 1 tablespoon sesame oil &Â milk cream. Add 1 tablespoon tulsi or brahmiÂ powder (easily available at ayurvedic stores) to it & mix well. Massage this paste onto your skin & leave on for 5-10 minutes. Wash it off with lukewarm water.
2. To 4 tablespoons wheat flour add 1/2 teaspoon turmeric, 1 teaspoon mustard oil, 1 tablebspoon milk & honey
. Mix well & apply on the face and neck taking care to avoid the eyes. Leave it for 20 minutes &Â Wash off with lukewarm water.
Skin care for Pitta skin type:
1. People with pitta dosha should avoid warming substances as it is sensitive &Â prone to skin inflammation. Cooling substances like aloe vera gel, cold milk, cucumbers & rose water can be used for topical application.
2. Inclusion of diary products, milk, yoghurt, buttermilk, &Â cheese in your diet regularly,Â calms down the pitta dosha. Sweet fruits like melons, banana,Â pomegranates etc also help balance pitta dosha. Avoid very spicy, oily & salty foods that increase acidity.
3. Herbs & spicesÂ like coriander, mint,Â saffron & fennel have a coolingÂ effect thatÂ create an alkaline environment, thus calming pitta.
1. ToÂ 3 teaspoons channa beasan addÂ 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric, 1/2 teaspoon sandalwood
, powderÂ & 2 tablespoons crushed cucumber. Mix itÂ well by adding rose water to it. Apply it onto your skin & let it stay for a good 20 minutes. Wash your face with cool water.
2. Crush a few mint leaves to a fine paste, add a tablespoon of yoghurt and 2 teaspoons of multani mitti or fuller’s earth to the paste. Apply itÂ on toÂ your face & leave it on till it dries. Wash itÂ off & spray some rose waterÂ all over your face
3. For a quick soothing face pack, mash half a banana & add 2 teaspoons of cold milk to the pulp. apply this on your face for 10 minutes & gently wipe it off.
Skin care for Kapha skin type:
1. Since Kapha skin type easilyÂ gets greasy & is prone to dullness, exfoliation isÂ extremely important. Application of rice flour, oats, fuller’s earth, lemon juiceÂ help’s control excessÂ oil & aids lymphatic drainage.
2. Avoid having cold, oily &Â sugary foods. Cut down on diary products.Â Your diet should mainlyÂ include hot &Â well cookedÂ vegetables,Â pulses & grains which are mildly spiced.
3. Spices like clove, cumin, black pepper & anise seed helps relieve kapha dosha.
Ayurvedic Recipes for Kapha skin type:
1. ToÂ 3 teaspoons masoor dal flour, 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds, 1 teaspoon dried orange
peel powder, AddÂ 1 tablespoon Ayurvedic herbs such as neem powder, triphala powder & tulsi powder. Rub the mixture ontoÂ a wetÂ face using small, vigorous circular motions. Let the ubtan soak in for 5-10 minutes & wash off.
2. ToÂ 1 tablespoons lemon juice &Â 1 tablespoon yoghurtÂ add 1 tablespoon rice flour, a pinch of cinnamon powder & black pepper. Mix well & apply itÂ onto your face avoiding the eye area. gently massage for 2-3 minutesÂ & wash off. Rub an ice cube all over the face.
Once you have determined your skin type, follow the ayurvedic remedies once or twice a week. You would start to notice a difference in a month’s time if followed religiously.
Ayurvedic Hair care:
Due to external aggressions, hormonal imbalances & emotional disturbances our tresses go through a lot of distress leading to hair fall, premature greying, dandruff etc.Â But Ayurveda comes to our rescue withÂ many herbal remedies to save our crowning glory & undo some of the damage. So here we go:
Ayurvedic Remedies for Hairfall:-
1. 1 tbsp Triphala powder (easily available at ayurvedic stores)
2. 1 tbspÂ fenugreek
3. 1 cup yoghurt.
Mix all the above ingredients together & allow it to stand overnight. Apply this pack to your scalp & leave on for an hour. Shampoo your hair & condition as usual. Follow this routine twice a week.
1.Â 2 tbsp.Â coconut oil
2.Â 1 tbsp.Â amla oil
3. 1 tbsp. castor oil
4. 3 tsp. bhringraj powder
5. 2 tsp. brahmi powder
Combine the oils in the right proportions. Add bhringraj & brahmi powder to the oil & heat it on aÂ low flame or in aÂ microwave for 3-5 minutes. Repeat it after 3 hours.Â You can prepare it in large quantities & store it. Massage this oilÂ on your scalp for 15-20 minutes & leave it on for an hour before washing your hair.Â Do this at least once a week.
Ayurvedic Remedies for Premature Greying:
1. 1 tbsp. Multani mitti
2. 1 tbsp. Amla powder/ Amla juice
3. 1/2 tbsp. Henna powder
4.1/2 tbsp. Reetha powder
5. Rose water/ water as required
Mix all the ingredients together & soak it overnight, preferably in an iron vessel. Spread the pack all over the vessel so that the minerals in the iron vessel is well absorbed. Scrape from the vessel & Apply it next morning, coat every strand till the endsÂ & leave on from 1/2 anÂ hour to 1 hourÂ & wash off. This pack helps hair become black & prevent grey strands.Â Do this once orÂ twiceÂ a month.
1.Â 2 tbsp. Triphala powder
2. 1 tbsp. Black sesame
3. 1 tbsp. Hibiscus powder
Soak all the above ingredients in a bowl of water for 2-3 hours. Grind itÂ finely & boil the decoction till it turns to a thick consistency. Let it cool, now apply this paste to your hair from root to tipÂ & leave it on for an hour. Wash your hair as usual. You may use this twice a week.
Ayurvedic Remedies for Dandruff:-
1. 4 tbsp. coconut oil
2. 2 tbsp. sesame oil
3. 2 pieces camphor
Combine the oils & heat it, crush the camphor pieces & add the powder as the oil is heating. Massage the warmÂ mixture on your scalp. Leave it on for 2 hours, shampoo & condition your hair. You should do this atleast twice a week.
1. 5-10 neem leaves
2. 1/2 tbsp. lemon juice
3. 1 tbsp. yoghurt
BlendÂ the neem leaves withÂ yoghurt & lemon juice in a blenderÂ to form a puree. Apply this puree to your scalp & massage for a few minutes. Leave it on for 1/2 an hour & wash your hair.
1.Â 2 tbsp. Reetha powder
2. 1 tbsp. Hibiscus powder
3. 1 tbsp. Triphala powder
Combine all the three proportionately. Use this as a hair wash powder instead of your regular shampoo. This improves circulation to the scalp & gets rid of the dead cells.
Do you believe in Ayurveda And Skin and Hair care?
You might also like reading these:-