Black eyed beans which is popularly called Alasandalu in Telugu, Alasande in Kannada, Chawli in Gujarati and lobia in North India. ItÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s a vegetarian protein and a good source of fibre. It looks like small white Rajma but has all together complete different taste.
Ingredients required: (Serves 2-3)
Lobia/Black eyed beans-150 gms
2 Chopped plum tomatoes
1 chopped medium sized onion
1 chopped green chilly
Salt to taste
Â¼ tsp red chilli powder
1/2tsp dry coriander powder
1/4tsp haldi(turmeric powder)
1/4tsp kitchen king masala(optional)
Water for the gravy
1. Soak lobia over night for around 7-8 hours.Pressure cook them with 2-3 cups of water .You require 1 whistle less than that of Rajma. Cooking of the beans completely depends upon the water of the area but generally 3 whistles are more than enough. These beans get cooked faster than rajma.
2. Take oil and add cumin seeds when hot. Let it sizzle for few minutes.
3. Add chopped onion and sautÃƒÂ© it for 3 minutes.
4. Add chopped tomatoes and all the above mentioned masalas.
5. Cook the masala till it leaves some oil.
6. Add cooked beans into the masala and let it simmer for 5 minutes till beans absorb all the masalas.