Ever since I started becoming more aware of the many chemicals put into beauty products, I decided to experiment and come up with simple homemade alternatives which would work equally well and wouldnâ€™t hurt my pockets. Here is a simple facial scrub recipe with easily available ingredients and takes absolutely no time to make!
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Sugar (white/brown)
- Any facial oil
- Essential oil (optional)
- Cocoa: High in Vit E and contains anti oxidants that repair the damaged skin by fighting the free radicals on the skin, and provide anti ageing properties
- Sugar: A natural exfoliant that gets rid of dead, lifeless skin layers which block pores that donâ€™t let our skin breathe. It contains glycolic & alpha hydroxyl acid witch are extremely crucial in skin care.
Method: (I make this scrub fresh each time I use. You could also make it in a small batch)
- Pound sugar in a mortar & pestle. I donâ€™t like to use whole grains of sugar because I find them to be too harsh on my skin. Using castor sugar wonâ€™t do any good as it wonâ€™t give you the scrubbing effect.
- Take cocoa powder and sugar in a small container. Mix them well.
- Now add few drops of any facial oil (for the purpose of getting the whole mixture together).
- 4.Â Â Â Â Â One drop of your favorite essential oil can also be used. Pregnant women should stay away from essential oils.
- In case you are making it in a small batch- break open a capsule of Vit E (as a preservative) to this mixture and store it in an air tight container.
Usage: I first cleanse my face well and then use this scrub. I use it twice or at the max thrice a week, at night. If you find your skin has become red post exfoliation, discontinue the use of this scrub. Either your skin isnâ€™t getting well along with either the size of the sugar crystal or sugar as a whole. Even though this scrub contains few drops of oil, it doesnâ€™t leave any greasy layer behind. Post exfoliation, I find my skin to be smooth and nourished. The skin feels moist hence I generally skip a moisturizer.
Did you like the Cocoa-Sugar face scrub?
You might also like readingÂ these:-