By Prerana Sharma,
Goa Tourism – You can go to Goa in any season but the best time to visit Goa is in Feb to enjoy Goa Carnivals. Christmas and New Year is also celebrated with full of colors and excitement in Goa. Goa is lashed with heavy rains and strong winds during monsoons between June and September. Summers, from March to May, are hot and very humid, unlike fall and winter. November to March, are mild and pleasant. Better if u can go for 1week..
Foreigners visit Goa usually in winters (Nov-Mar) Monsoon season is avoided coz site seeing is difficult in continuous rain!! But U know, IÃ¢â‚¬â„¢m little crazy. I opted monsoon season to visit Goa (actually I love rain and Rain+Goa makes too romantic destination according to me) I went there in AugustÃ¢â‚¬Â¦
Destination: There are 2stations in Goa, Margao and Vasco-Da-Gama.
Its better to plan your journey till Vasco-Da-Gama if you are going via train. We took a flight (you can easily book your tickets from makemytrip.com from your starting point) to Goa (name of airport- Dabolim airport)
Where to settle: As per my experience, its better to take a hotel in or near Ã¢â‚¬Å“Panaji / PanjimÃ¢â‚¬Â from where majority of tourist spots are near. 3star, 5star, resorts and budget hotels all are available.
Site seeing: You will find trip organizers all around, usually buses are organized for a trip around all famous spots of Goa. 2trips namely: North Goa trip (3-4famous beaches, dona paula, Aguada Fort) South Goa trip (includes temples, churches, museums). It is better if you take a road map of Goa (Rs20/-) so that you can understand what all places u went and what left out. My husband & I opted only North Goa trip and rest of the days we visited other Beaches & spots with the help of road map (so that we donÃ¢â‚¬â„¢t have to be bound in a Ã¢â‚¬Å“time limitÃ¢â‚¬Â to see a place, in which trip guide binds us!!)
Famous spots to visit:
1. Dona Paula / Dona Paula Beach: It is the tip of Goa, beyond which is Arabian sea. You will have to take bus: Panjim to market, market to Dona Paula. Below is my photo in Dona Paula.
2. Miramar Beach: On the way to Dona Paula there is Miramar Beach, beautiful beach with lots of palm tree in a row. Below is me in Miramar Beach.
3. Aguada Fort: Built in 16th century by Portuguese, there is a big light house inside this Fort. (This is the pic of light house inside the fort).
4. Anjuna Beach: Dangerous and rocky, not suitable for swimming as the waves are very high still very beautiful. Below is our photo in Anjuna Beach..It was stormy weather at that time but I enjoyed itÃ¢â‚¬Â¦
5. Vagator Beach: Such a lovely beach to capture pics, I can sit here for hours with my hubby if given timeÃ¢â‚¬Â¦
6. Calangute Beach: It is said Golden Beach of Goa, sand here glitters like gold. Get into water, swim, enjoy, chase, tease, you can do every thing here. Have lunch and experience some unique flavored ice-creams as wellÃ¢â‚¬Â¦
7. If you opt for North Goa trip, there are chances the bus driver (+1guide) will take you to a liquor shop where u can purchase Goan Cashew in many different varieties, Fenny (very famous, made from cashew, a ladies drink which contain 1%alcohol), Coconut Fenny, Port Wine (made from grapes), and all types of wine, champagne etcÃ¢â‚¬Â¦
8. Colva Beach: It is said silver beach of Goa, sand is white, shines like silver. It is in Margao district. We took bus from Panjim to Margao (mini buses run from Margao to Colva Beach to take and bring back tourists.Below is photo of me in Colva Beach.
9. Basilica Church: 16th century church built by purtagals. It is a beautiful piece of art, one must go there. We got bus from Panjim to ponda (church is on the way of ponda). Below is the beautiful Basilica Church.
10. Cruise trip: Many cruises are there on Mandova river which offers 1 hour trip in the rier. The one in which took the trip was 3deacker cruise, there was a mini disco arrangement in ground level so that couples can dance, Portugal folk dances were organized in the 1st level of cruise and top level was open air space to enjoy the river and click photos in Titanic pose if u want!!
11. Food in Goa – If you are a non vegetarian, Goa is your heaven! There are so many varieties of fish to experiment, I had baby sharks, king prawns, mackerel, mussels and they all were soooo tasty! Do try mutton vindalu which is a special goan dish.
There are total 12 beaches in North Goa And 10 beaches in South Goa, many old temples, churches, botanical parks etc.. to attract tourist. You should go Goa for minimum of 7days holiday, then only u will be able to enjoy everythingÃ¢â‚¬Â¦
Have you visited Goa? How was your experience like?
You might like reading these also:-
Srisalam – My trip to Srisailam temple and more
If you have any travel experience to share with us then mail us at anamika(at)wiseshe(dot)com.