Asthma is a widely spread disease and it occurs at all ages but predominately in early life. There are around 40 million asthmatics in India, in which 10 percent are school children itself. There are various causes of Asthma and involves both physical and psychological factors. Asthma can be spark off by extremities such as over exertion, cold air or a viral infection. In kids it is due to viral illnesses such as those that cause common cold. Drugs, perfumes, food, blockage in nostrils, choked lungs and inflammation in the respiratory organs can cause Asthma too. Most disheartening aspect of asthma is that it cannot be completely cured by medication.
Precaution to be taken by Asthma patients:
1. People having asthma patient in their houses should avoid using broom for cleaning. Instead vacuum cleaner should be preferred.
2. Foods which takes time in digestion such as Milk, Yogurt and mainly animal products should be avoided.
3. Sea food,fried and spicy food should be completely ignored.
4. Lots of fluid should be taken with fruits that are low in sugar content.
5. Smoking for a asthmatic is a recipe for disaster.
Herbal remedies for Asthma
1. Boil 2 cups of water and add Â½ spoon sonth(dried ginger powder) in it. When 1 cup of water is left after boiling strain the water with a help of a sieve. Drink this twice a day .This remedy helps asthmatic patient especially in winters.
2. Take 1 tbsp of honey , add Â½tbsp of ginger juice in it and have this twice or thrice a day.
3. Take roasted gram and have it with a glass of milk before going to the bed.
4. Have tulsi(Holy basil)with black pepper .This is a remedy for temporary relief.
5. If someone has been diagnosed for asthma at an early stage then having 10 garlic cloves in 30 ml of milk and taking it once in a day is an excellent cure.
Girls who are in their adolescent age when undergo hormonal changes suffer more due to Asthma. Asthma gets severe during menstrual cycle and during pregnancy but it depends on women to women as well. Above measures helps in getting respite but should be taken before consulting the doctor during pregnancy.
By practicing yoga asthma attacks can be controlled to a great extent. Regular practice of Tadasana,Simhasana,Yog mudra, shavasana and pranayama can gradually cure asthama from roots if its in early stages.