How To Make Black Henna?
Henna leaves have been widely used since ancient days to make designs on hands and to dye hair. Since it is a natural ingredient there is no harm to use it for hair but what if you want a different shade other than the natural reddish shade? These days black henna is quite seen in the market but unfortunately nothing called black henna is available naturally. To make it chemicals are being added which are extremely harmful to both skin and hair. You will be happy to know that you can still prepare black henna or henna of any other color naturally at home which is totally safe unlike those available in the market.
All you need to do is to add the right ingredient to your henna mixture. Here I have explained in detail how you can prepare it in your own kitchen.
- Take some sesame oil and curry leaves; boil them together for some time and store it in a tight container to store it.
- Whenever you want to dye your hair black, then just take some henna powder and boil it in this oil.
- If you don’t want to use sesame oil and curry leaves, then you can also boil henna powder directly in some castor oil. Make sure it turns black before you turn off the stove.
- Apply this to your hair evenly and wear a shower cap. Leave it for 3-4 hours and then wash with shikakai.
- That’s it. Your hair is all black now.
- Henna powder
- Lemon juice
- Henna oil
- Black food coloring
- Plastic wrap
- Take some henna powder in a bowl and add lemon juice to it. Mix these two ingredients and prepare paste.
- Now add some black food color to this paste and stir well so that the color mixes up in it evenly.
- Now cover this bowl with a plastic wrap and press it down so that no air bubbles remain in it.
- Put this under a heat lamp for about 12 hours and then remove it. Mix 1.5 teaspoons of henna oil and sugar of same quantity to this paste.
- Stir well and cover the bowl with the plastic wrap again pressing down to remove the air bubbles.
- Place this again under heat lamp for 12 more hours.
- Check if the consistency is smooth and creamy like yogurt. If it’s too thick then mix some lemon juice and change the consistency.
- Apply this paste to your hair evenly and leave it for 3-4 hours and then rinse.
Tips and Precautions:
- You can add any food color based on which color you want.
- Store the paste in a container with a tightly sealed lid preventing air, moisture and light to reach it; place it in the freezer.
- Since it takes almost 24 hours to prepare, you need to plan 2 days prior you want to use it.
- You are leaving the paste under heat since it draws out the color well to stain your hair well.
- In the black henna products available in the market, black dye called PPD is mixed which isn’t approved by FDA and proved to be toxic for skin.
- To draw the henna color properly acid is required; so instead of adding water, add lemon juice which is acidic in nature.
Have you tried these ways to make black henna?
You may also like to read:-