Yeah, you read it right. I know that the title of this post looks very disheartening! But you MUST discard your old makeup for the sake of your skin and hygiene. While using old makeup would not make you literally sick, it might lead to break-outs, irritation, fungal infections and eye infections.
While most of the products come with an expiry date, the PAO (period after opening) might not be specified on each product that you own! The symbol is a jar with an open lid and a number followed by a letter written inside the jar indicating when to discard it! The letter is usually an “M” for month or “Y” for year. So if you see “18 M” on the symbol that means the product will last up to 18 months after it has been opened.
Sometimes the â€œSYMPTOMSâ€ of an expired makeup may be very obvious. Like cracks on a powder compact, thickening of nail polish, separation of liquid foundation, foul smell in lipsticks and eye shadows. But these would probably be considered as the EXTREME cases of your makeup products gone bad.
While it is very difficult to let go the expensive makeup that you have invested on, it is more important to discard it for your own hygiene. We tend to give excuses to ourselves like, â€œI might need this somedayâ€; â€œThis shade suits me a lotâ€; â€œMore than half of the product is still left to useâ€. But the fact that those cosmetics have EXPIRED remains unchanged!
It is better to spend money on buying new cosmetics than to visit a dermatologist due to the skin problems your old makeup is giving you!
So following is the list of makeup products along with the time period after which you must toss it. Should I try to make it more painful to read-THROW YOUR COSMETICS IN THE DUSTBIN
- Mascara-3 to 4 months
- Kajal/kohl – 3 to 4 months
- Pencil Liners-5 to 6 months (this indicates the time for retractable ones. You may use the sharpening ones as long as they donâ€™t expire. Sharpening them removes the bacteria)
- Cream eye shadow-12 months
- Powder eye shadows-18-24 months
- Liquid eye liners-4-5 months
- Liquid/Cream Foundation -12 months
- Mineral Foundation -24 months
- Liquid/Cream Concealer-12 months
- Mineral Concealer -24 months
- Powder Blushes-18-24 months
- Cream Blushes-12 months
- Mineral Blushes-18-24 months
- Loose Powder-24 months
- Pressed Powder- 36 months
- Lip liners-5 to 6 months (this indicates the time for retractable ones. You may use the sharpening ones as long as they donâ€™t expire. Sharpening them removes the bacteria)
- Lipsticks-12 months
- Lip glosses-8 months
NAIL POLISHES-24 months
Apart from these, you must also take care of the following:
- Clean your blushes periodically. Read about cleaning the brushes here.
- Donâ€™t share your lipsticks, lip glosses, kajals etc. These are most commonly shared and may spread bacteria and virus like herpes.
- If you have used any eye make-up product during an eye infection, discard it immediately.
- Remember this rhyme â€œWHEN IN DOUBT, THROW IT OUT!!!â€
- Try to label every product when you first use it so that you can know when to toss it!
If I have missed any product, please feel free to write about it in the comments section.
I know it is very difficult to throw away cosmetics just like that, but itâ€™s better for them to sit in the dustbin rather than sitting on your skin and causing infections!
Hope you find this post informative and helpful!
How often do you throw away makeup?
You might like reading these also:-