This post is about a very unconventional way of cleansing
called OCM, abbreviation forÂ ‘oil cleansing method’.Â The term ‘oil cleansing’ sounds very intriguing, the first time I came across theÂ term I thought itÂ meant cleansing the pores ofÂ all the excessÂ oil,Â which is partially right. But I never thought thatÂ cleansing excess oil with oil itself was a possibility. Yes! This method is all about using a blend of oils as a cleanser.
WHAT IS OIL CLEANSING METHOD:
The Oil cleansing method is based on the principle ‘oil dissolves oil’. In chemistry there is a theory that a non polar solvent like oil,Â is the most effective in dissolving another non polar solvent of the similar composition. It’s the application of the sameÂ concept that gave rise to the oil cleansing method.
This alsoÂ proves why there is no effective treatment to control overactive sebaceous glands in oily skinned people. The more we try to curbÂ oil production with astringents the more oil our skin produces leading to acne, blackheads
So how does this actually work? The usage of the right blend of oilsÂ
gently removes skin impurities,Â purging pores of hardened sebum, grime & dead skin withoutÂ disturbingÂ it’s naturalÂ moisture balance. Over a period of time as the skin adapts itself toÂ this systemÂ the occurrence of pimples, rashes & other dermalÂ eruptions gradually recede. The usage ofÂ alcohol basedÂ cleansers & toners rip the skin of allÂ moisture causing an imbalance. Whereas theÂ oil cleansing method restores it’s normal function diminishing skin problems, in turnÂ reducing blemishes, dark spots & acne
scars ensuringÂ a flawless, glowing complexion.
PROCEDURE FOR THE OIL CLEANSING METHOD:
AÂ fewÂ points toÂ note:
1. This method of cleansing can be used by all skin types becauseÂ the main purpose ofÂ it is toÂ restore skin’s natural balance which is whyÂ it’s specially beneficial for Dry & acne prone skin.
2. The main ingredient ofÂ OCM is Castor oil. The thick consistency of castor oil unclogs pores by pulling out all the impurities. Castor oil is an astringent oil, excess amount can cause dryness.
3. There is a ratio recommended for different skin types, which is debateable as it canÂ vary from person to person & other factors like climateÂ can also influence it. I would suggest, you stick to the recommended ratio initially & alter it according to your needs once you get the hang of it.
If you are allergic to Castor oil/ any carrier oilÂ or undergoing any skin treatment, consult your dermatologist before you go ahead with this.
Recommended Ratios for the Oil Blend:
1. Dry skin: 1:3: 1 part Castor oil & 3 parts carrier oil(any one carrier oil)
Carrier oils for dry skin: Olive
oil/ sesame oil/ sunflower oil/ wheat germ oil.
2. Normal skin: 1:2: 1 part Castor oil & 2 parts carrier oil.
Carrier oils for normal skin: Sunflower oil/almond oil/ avocado oil/jojoba oil.
3. Oily/acne proneÂ skin: 1: 1: Equal portions of castor oil & carrier oil.
Carrier oils for oily/acne proneÂ skin: Jojoba oil/rice bran oil/ grape seed oil.
STEPS TO FOLLOW:
1. Prepare the oil blend suitable for your skin type
2. ApplyÂ a good amount ofÂ oil to your face & gently massage
3. Dip a washcloth into hot water, squeeze out the excess
4. Cover your face with the wash cloth & take a steam
5. Repeat steps 3&Â 4 twice
6. Gently wipe your face with the wash cloth.
7. Wash your face with warm water, if necessary.
While castor oil clarifies skin, carrier oil helps in moisturising & nourishing it. Steam helps in opening up pores & massaging gently dislodges dirt from them. More points to note:
Preferably Oil cleansing should be performed at night.
After cleansing nothing else should be applied to the face as the oils will work on restoring skin’s natural balance through the night.
If your face feels too oily, it is recommended to be washed only with tepid water.
If your skin feels dry, a drop of the blended oil may be applied to the face.
It is advisable to follow this method of cleansing twice a week.
You may experience breakouts initially, but your skin will adapt in due course of time.
My Experience with OCM:
I have been following The Oil Cleansing Method from the past few weeks, though I found it a little hard to adjust initially I am used to it now. At the beginningÂ I did face two underlying eruptions but they subsided within two days without leaving a mark.
My skin would appear dull the next day of OCM but after consistently following it I have surely felt an improvement. It has helped in reducing skin sensitivity, my T-zone stays non greasy for a littleÂ longer than before,Â even with the usage ofÂ same products. I have noticed an improvement in my skin tone as well. But there is no difference in my skin texture or a decrease in skin eruptions. Maybe the improvements could be due to changes in season & climatic conditions but still I would want to give it a benefit of doubt. Natural methods often take very long to show results, but they only benefit us. So go ahead & give this a shot!
Have you tried Oil Cleansing Method?
You might also like reading these:-