All About Oregano Essential Oil
Oregano essential oil? What? I have oregano only on pizzasâ€¦ Jokes apartâ€¦The benefits of oregano oil go beyond cooking.
Oregano is a hardy, bushy perennial herb that grows straight with stem covered in hair. The leaves are olive green and oval or spade shaped. It will also have a rich profusion of pink-mauve-violet flowers clustered in heads at the top of the branches.
The essential oil is light yellow to reddish yellow in color and due to high carvacol content; it is considered to be “nature’s cure all”. Oregano Essential Oil is one of the most potent and powerful essential oils and has been used for centuries in traditional health practices. It is analgesic, anti rheumatic, antiseptic, antispasmodic, antitoxic, antiviral, bactericidal, carminative, choleretic, cytophylactic, diaphoretic, diuretic, emmenagogue, expectorant, febrifuge, fungicidal, parasiticide, rubefacient, stimulant and tonic.
Antibacterial, thus cures bacterial and viral infections with ease. It provides great relief against infections in the colon and urinary tract, as well as typhoid, cholera, sores, skin infections and temporary problems like food poisoning.
It has anti-inflammatory properties, thus soothes both internal and external inflammations. It can also relieve topical pain that might be associated with arthritis or injury. Reduces body ache associate with fever and cold too.
Antioxidants present in the oil protect you from the damages done to the body by free radicals and neutralizes them, while repairing the damage already done.
- Provides relief from stress and anxiety.
- Protects wounds from becoming septic.
- Strengthen nervous system.
- It lowers blood pressure, improves blood circulation and lowers the risk of other heart ailments.
- Aids in proper digestion and thereby curing constipation.
- Helps in treating insomnia.
- Used in â€œraindrop techniqueâ€ where it involves applying the essential oil to the spine, neck and feet.
- Reduces period cramps, regulates menstruation and delaying the onset of menopause.
- Helps to suppress or control sexual desire. (This property is beneficial for those who are suffering from abnormal and extreme sexual urges.)
- Promotes perspiration and keeps you healthy by removing toxins, sodium salts and excess water from the body.
- Helps to control uric acid.
- Can also be used as a fragrance component in soaps, colognes and perfumes, especially men’s fragrances.
- Strewn on the floor to mask unpleasant smells.
How to use:
A few drops of the oil can be added to your bath water. This has a curiously relaxing effect.
You can apply 2-3 drops with few tbsp of any other massage oil and massage on the joint and muscle pain area.
Can be blended with other ingredients to make your favorite DIY recipes.
You can mix with other essential oils as well, like lavender, cypress, cedar wood, chamomile, bergamot, eucalyptus and tea tree.
You can add a few drops with your favorite cream and lotion and massage on skin.
It is suggested that you consult a qualified aroma-therapist first. If you are under medication, then consult with your doctor before using this oil.
Caution: Pregnant women should strictly stay away from oregano essential oil!
Have you tried Oregano essential oil?
You might also like to read:-
- Simple Office Eye makeup Tutorial For Summer
- Herbal Essences Totally Twisted Curls & Waves Shampoo Review
- 13 Lâ€™oreal Color Riche Nutri Shine Lipstick Photos & Swatches
- Best Red Nail Polish For Dark Skin
- 6 Body Shop Cheek Colour Blush Photos & Swatches