By Candy (Dipti),
It feels like it was yesterday when I went to Amsterdam with my friends to celebrate New Year and itÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s already March! 🙁 That means it wonÃ¢â‚¬â„¢t take long till summer. So I thought of writing this today because Â I was doing a little research! 😕 Hmm!
Everybody knows that sun protection is really important to protect us from UV rays.
The Ultraviolet rays contain UVA, UVB and UVC. When these rays hit the skin, some get scattered, some reflected but many of it gets absorbed by the skin. It damages the DNA cells. This can lead to cancer, eye damage or even blindness. Â And I can keep on going with all the other stuff which everyone has heard may be 1000 times.
I can write to use sun protection every day. Not only in summer, because UV rays can penetrate clouds, reflect water etc etc. But everybody knows that right. And still many of us donÃ¢â‚¬â„¢t use sun protection. Well why talk about others. I should point to myself first!
Anyways, I donÃ¢â‚¬â„¢t know how many of the readers got babies or are planning to have a baby soon. But still itÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s good to know that a baby younger than 6 months should NOT BE EXPOSED TO SUNLIGHTÃ¢â‚¬â„¢S!! NEVER EVER!!Â Not even after that but u canÃ¢â‚¬â„¢t keep the baby inside forever. And sunrays contain Vitamin D which is good. So keeping all that in mind, itÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s important to protect the babies too.
A sunscreen should contain zinc oxide or titanium dioxide. These chemical elements sit on top of the skin, forming a barrier against the sunÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s ray. They start protecting ur skin as soon as u put them on. While on the other hand chemical products need to be used 15 to 30 minutes before going out in the sun.
I read that sun protection which claims higher than 30 SPF give smaller amounts of added protection- which means a higher dose of unwanted chemicals. It makes sense but then why they make higher SPF containing sun protections. Anyways, I also read that normal sunscreens for adults are the same as those for children. But I am going to find that out very soon and will compare a baby sunscreen to any other sunscreen.
Some rules everyone should follow:
- Never go out between 11 am to 4 pm. These are called the peak hours.
- Always use sunscreen to unprotected skin. Apply it 20 minutes before u go out in the sun.
- Reapply it every 2 hours.
- Babies younger than 6 months should NOT be exposed to sun.
- Babies need sun protection too. (Johnson & Johnson baby sun protection available. If not in India, u can still buy it from internet) 😛
- Everybody loves tanned skin but go for safe tanning rather than unprotected sun exposure.
- Check the expiration date of your sun screen. It probably wont work if its over expiration date.
- DonÃ¢â‚¬â„¢t put just anything on baby skin. The chemical can be very harmful. Know the product first.
- Make sure it doesnÃ¢â‚¬â„¢t contain PARABEN. ItÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s linked to the cause of cancer in some cases. Well no evidence but better be on the safe side.
- Paraben react with UVB and can cause skin aging and DNA damage.
You might like reading these also:-