I am sure most girls at one point or the other in their life say I want to be an air-hostess! I was one of them and also fulfilled my dream as most of you know . I was with Jet airways for about 8 yrs. and had a good time .Finally I decided to quit as my dad also needed help in the family business and I was yearning for a change.I will not deny that being a part of the service industry has taught me many valuable lessons.
The general perception is that air-hostesses and flight pursers live very glamorous lives! Nothing can be further from the truth. Theres a lot of hard work involved behind the glamorous facade of pretty girls and fancy aircrafts! The glamour , my girl is the person herself..all dressed an made up . The hours are long and odd .. The flights are hectic and you cannot let your makeup and smile slip!
One important thing that this job had taught me was to face every adversity with a calm n cool mind! We have had our share of medical emergencies , baby getting scalded when her mom accidentally dropped tea when bad weather hit and heart attacks on board.Being in a service industry always empowers you to make someones day and that is something that used to make me very happy! You get to meet people from all walks of life and one very big lesson i learnt in all these years is that you can breeze through any difficult situation with a polite word and a smile !
Pre-requisites to enter the aviation industry as a cabin crew:
1.Height has to be over 5’2″ .. No excuses here! I have seen girls coming to interviews with high heels thinking they can get away with it , but girls the height is checked at the interview.The reason why theres a minimum height requirement is to enable one to reach the overhead bins.
2) Clear complexion:Skin must be devoid of acne marks blemishes it atleast concealableÂ Â Â Â Â with makeup .But it does not end here .You have to look after your skin all thru the flying tenure. Even if u get one pimple you Â will be grounded till it goes away or it can be concealed well
3) Weight: This , girls, is extremely important. Your weight has to be in proportion to your height and has to stat that way . There are regular weight checks in all private airlines. Most of you who have flown Air India must be thinking that the crew there are fat and old .. But then we all know what kinda impression that kind of a look gives.
4) Pleasant personality: A pleasant personality is required for your own sanity . If you have the ability to smile through most situations then you will be a natural in dealing with passengers and infact be able to calm them down when they are irate. More than looks , a pleasant personality is what the selectors look for in a candidate.
Grooming guidelines are very very different in a service industry than from other workplaces with a formal dress code. Aviation and hotels take formal dressing to a new level altogether. That is why its very easy to distinguish a service person from the person whose dressed for office or meetings.You cannot have a hair out of place or chipped nail paint. Those are grounds for been taken off duty for a flight or a shift!!
I once got into trouble for wearing pink lippie instead of the regulation peach lippie .. Yes girls its that strict! Like a school but thats the way standards are maintained !
If you are more than two kilos overweight then you will be taken of flight duties. In the next part I will elaborate more on grooming and the advantages and disadvantages of the aviation industry
You may also like reading:
- MAC Deep Truth Eyeshadow :Review, Swatches & EOTD
- MAC Well Dressed, MAC Breezy, MAC Dolly Mix, MAC Coy Girl Swatches
- MAC Flirt & Tease, MAC Breath Of Plum, MAC Plum Foolery & More Swatches
- MAC Semi Precious Feeling Flush Mineralize Blush Review
- MAC Semi Precious Unsurpassable Eyeshadow:Swatches,Review
- MAC Studio Fix Or MAC Mineralize Skin Or Mac Prolong Wear
- MAC Backstage Wills India Lifestyle Day3
- MAC Semi Precious Collection India â€“ Soon In Store